Belgian Blond Ale Belgian Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdave12

Back of the Yards Brewing Company
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3787
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
5 gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
90 minues
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 68 degrees farenheit
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 at 40 degrees farenheit
Tasting Notes
A dry Belgian ale with pear flavors and moderate sweetness
I used a Wyeast 3787 Trappist ale yeast-cake from Patersbier to make the following all grain recipe:

10 lbs. of Belgian Pilsener;
2 lbs. of wheat;
2 ounces of Saaz hops (1 ounce for 60 minutes and another ounce at 5 minutes);
OG: 1.060
Single infusion mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes.

I pitched at 65 degrees and begin fermentation at 68 degrees. I let the temperature rise to 72 degrees and measured the gravity of 1.001 after 14 days. I racked to a glass carboy and began lowering the temperature down to 40 degrees, which I'll hold for another two weeks before kegging.

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

Certainly looks tasty. Let us know how it turns out!

What Praterbier did you brew?

The Patersbier was based on Northern Brewer's all grain recipe, so 9 lbs. of Pilsener malt, one once of Tradition hops, and an ounce of Saaz hops. That's one of my favorite beers to brew and its supposedly a clone of Westmalle Extra which isn't commercially available. The Wyeast 3787 is a wonderful strain.

I entered this batch in the St. Louis Brew's Happy Holidays Homebrew Competition and received a score of 32 from Stan Hieronymus.

I think that's really cool. :mug:

Attached is my score sheet so that if any of you would like to improve upon my recipe, you can see his critique. One thing that I've improved since this last competition is my bottling. My wife gave me a Blichmann Beer Gun for Christmas to remedy the sloppiness of bottling from the keg.

View attachment Belgian Blonde - 33.pdf

I entered this batch in the St. Louis Brew's Happy Holidays Homebrew Competition and received a score of 32 from Stan Hieronymus.

I think that's really cool. :mug:

Attached is my score sheet so that if any of you would like to improve upon my recipe, you can see his critique. One thing that I've improved since this last competition is my bottling. My wife gave me a Blichmann Beer Gun for Christmas to remedy the sloppiness of bottling from the keg.

Sounds like a good beer. If you like it don't change a thing. But almost any Belgian yeast will give you more flavor than WY3787, which is very neutral or subtle in a blonde.

Also, the beer sounds like it could use some more IBU's. If you would rather err on the sweet side just throw in a few more grams of bittering hops next time.

The beer is also at the low end of the style guidelines for original gravity. I would try a higher gravity version. (Disclaimer: I am not a judge and I prefer higher gravity beers so that may influence my opinion).

I hear you on the gravity! I think next time I'll add more wheat malt and maybe flaked wheat. Bringing the mash up to 16 lbs of grain should pack a punch. I might also do a true secondary fermentation with a clean lager yeast to dry the beer out.

With this recipe, I was aiming to replicate Westmalle Extra, which isn't commercially available. I like the Wyeast 3787 since its from that Monestary.

I hear you on the gravity! I think next time I'll add more wheat malt and maybe flaked wheat. Bringing the mash up to 16 lbs of grain should pack a punch. I might also do a true secondary fermentation with a clean lager yeast to dry the beer out.

With this recipe, I was aiming to replicate Westmalle Extra, which isn't commercially available. I like the Wyeast 3787 since its from that Monestary.

I've never used lager yeast. If you like a dry beer you could always use something like Wy3711, which is a monster. Opinions vary on the flavor profile, but I've had good results with it.

Not a problem! I was happy to post it. I think given the stature of the judge in the brewing community and the fact that you all have my exact recipe means the feedback is especially helpful for brewing a great Belgian pale ale.

Back