Gotta Girlie Beer Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably would have gone smoother if approached with a "Ideas for a brew for wine drinkers" or "Help me find a beer I can make to expand the minds of people who do not like beer". Yeah, this may have gone on a little long. I do like seeing the progression of these types of threads though.

Ok, I am going to let this thread go now. Happy debating all.

The OP was referring to a specific woman and called her tastes 'girlie'. That's just as offensive as saying she likes pink because she's a girlie girl.

Most women aren't girlie. If they were that would be a lot more offensive than all this thread's responses combined.

So my straight answer is.. yes sweet is the answer... light wheat with fruit, the fruit lager a la Abita Strawberry Harvest, even certain lambic... one of the ciders like Fox Barrel apple and pear ciders. I would even say milk stout if done well (though the rich texture can be unappealing to girlie girls).

Not all women have the same preferences. Go figure.

Probably would have gone smoother if approached with a "Ideas for a brew for wine drinkers" or "Help me find a beer I can make to expand the minds of people who do not like beer". Yeah, this may have gone on a little long. I do like seeing the progression of these types of threads though.

Ok, I am going to let this thread go now. Happy debating all.
you sound like a female......I said what I said.....roll with it or. I'll continue to make different beers like all of you and when I make one that any of the girls in my life like, I'll let you know.

I just brewed a Maple Cream Ale for my sister-in-law. It's just BierMuncher's Cream of Three Crops recipe, plus 2 little bottles (I think around 45 mL each) of imitation maple extract flavouring mixed in during kegging. My wife and I sampled two bottles last night (we're delivering the batch this weekend), and it turned out fantastic. Very nice, easy-drinking beer, and the maple flavour comes through just enough to notice, but nowhere near being overpowering.

Maybe this is getting out of hand???? But Yooper is a g'ma??? That brews??? MAD PROPS.

This kind of thing drives me nuts.

First, we jump down the guy's throat because he exhibits a stereotype that most brewers are men. How dare he make such an offensive assumption!

Then, in the same breath, we turn around and marvel at a female brewer.

Why does Yooper deserve "MAD PROPS" if there's nothing unusual about female brewers? Is it possibly because female beer connoisseurs/brewers really are unusual?

You can't have it both ways, guys. Give the guy a break. In my opinion/experience, the majority of homebrewers are men, and in my own circle of friends, all the guys like beer (albeit most stay within their BMC comfort zone), while few of the women like beer. My wife is a wonderful exception, but even she admits that the only reason she started drinking beer in the first place was ... wait for it ... to fit in with her male Engineering classmates back in university when they'd go out for wings and beer. She felt awkward being the only one ordering a wine cooler, so she had a "manly" drink (Molson Canadian) with the "guys."

It's a stereotype, and a valid one, whether we like it or not. It's not offensive or insulting, it just is.

Enough with the hyper-sensitive, faux-outrage politically-correct hystrionics. We're all on the same team, guys.

I found you some "girly" beer! :mug:

http://chickbeer.com/

girl beer.jpg

Mods please lock this thread. I thought we weren't supposed to have political discussion on this forum. This political correctness bull **** needs to be moved or locked.

opening my eyes to the fact that comments like "girlie beer" and the like are insulting and hurtful

Is the term "girlie car" (eg., VW Beetle) insulting and hurtful? Even though 56% of Beetle buyers are women, compared to making up just 36% of all new vehicle registrations?

Is the term "girlie show" insulting and hurtful? Would you seriously try to convince me that just as many men watch Sex and the City or Vampire Diaries as women?

Have we really reached a point where any kind of gender stereotyping at all - no matter how true - is deemed "offensive?"

you sound like a female......I said what I said.....roll with it or. I'll continue to make different beers like all of you and when I make one that any of the girls in my life like, I'll let you know.

Thank you Packer, you have restored my faith in humanity. I will now ensure that I am diligent in my manliness so that people know I carry my reproductive organs on the outside.

Naked Chicks, Cigars, Motorcycles, Guns and Explosions. Better?

Ok. I am leaving this thread. I will not attempt to be cordial and attempt to help ease the thread war anymore.

On TV ads you constantly see the "manly" equals "good" message, with trucks and sportscars and everything else under the sun. I find it frankly ridiculous, and that's what I was trying to point out earlier.

The one that bugs me is how it's OK for advertisers to portray a man as a bumbling idiot, and the intelligent, level-headed woman saves the day (by buying the right toilet paper/laundry detergent/whatever), but you'd never see an advertiser reinforcing race stereotypes to sell products. But gender stereotypes get a free pass. Heck, it's even one-sided. How many commercials have you seen that depict the man as the saviour, and the helpless woman as the bumbling fool? It never happens! Isn't that offensive?

If TV commercials are to be believed, men can be trusted to grill our meat, but not to bake a cake, clean the bathroom, care for their own children (!), do the grocery shopping ... etc.

Here is the perfect, enlightening exchange...

Person 1: Blah blah blah
Person 2: Hey, I really dont like that because of blah.
Person 1: Sorry, I didnt mean it like that
Person 2: Its ok, now to answer your original question...

OK, but what if Person 1 did mean it like that? What if that's just how they feel/believe/think? Why should they have to change their behaviour just because someone else doesn't like it? Isn't it a free country? Doesn't that mean you're free to be an idiot?

Maybe Person 1 and Person 2 just shouldn't be friends? Isn't that OK? We don't all have to believe the same thing - that's what makes this society such a great melting pot, isn't it?

Its a free country, absolutely, but its generally frowned upon to insult people without provocation. Another example, I might meet your (kombat's) wife and think she has a spectacular behind. It's a free country, I can think that, and I can say that (even loudly) without fear of legal or criminal recourse.

I would, however, fear you thinking I was a royal a'hole and I would also fear the possibility of your right cross (or your left hook). Got me?

The one that bugs me is how it's OK for advertisers to portray a man as a bumbling idiot, and the intelligent, level-headed woman saves the day (by buying the right toilet paper/laundry detergent/whatever), but you'd never see an advertiser reinforcing race stereotypes to sell products. But gender stereotypes get a free pass. Heck, it's even one-sided. How many commercials have you seen that depict the man as the saviour, and the helpless woman as the bumbling fool? It never happens! Isn't that offensive?

If TV commercials are to be believed, men can be trusted to grill our meat, but not to bake a cake, clean the bathroom, care for their own children (!), do the grocery shopping ... etc.

That's an excellent point, and one that irks me as well. I agree that negative gender-based stereotyping cuts both ways. It's not a justification (see, they do it too!), rather it's a reason for people to be aware of how pervasive it is and to think about how it impacts us. If 99% of all "TV dads" are bumbling idiots saved by their wives and kids from their own idiocy, do we really think that won't impact the relationships between actual kids and moms and dads who see that behavior modeled over and over again in every sitcom known to man?

OK I know all these arguments are old hat and I keep telling myself I'm not going to post again in this thread, but I wanted to agree with your point. Now I'm really done.

As a white, divorced dad, I agree that this annoys me.

But then I remember that, not counting maybe the last 15 years, virtually ALL of American history was dominated by the "fact" that white men were the only ones qualified enough to own land, vote, run families, etc. So I ease up a little. We were a bunch of *****ebags for about 200 years, so I don't mind being depicted as a blundering "Al Bundy" in a few commercials. Call me back when we've been ACTUALLY disadvantages by being white guys, cause I'm only seeing the benefits right now.

The one that bugs me is how it's OK for advertisers to portray a man as a bumbling idiot

This is why I don't buy Dr Pepper 10 or whatever it's called. I think the comercials are hilarious. Yeah they make me laugh and are entertaining which is the point the advertisers were trying to make but at the same time I don't like the message.

D***it- I answered the question already. Why am I getting dragged into this futile argument of opinions. Does anyone really expect to change anyone else's mind? Sorry for bumping this one back to the top...

For the record, the lazy "men are stupid and women are annoying" marketing annoys the living crap out of me too.

But it's "hey look over here!" rhetoric to mention that in reference to this thread.

For the record, the lazy "men are stupid and women are annoying" marketing annoys the living crap out of me too.

But it's "hey look over here!" rhetoric to mention that in reference to this thread.

I found you some "girly" beer! :mug:

http://chickbeer.com/

Thanks for the link for some "girlie" beer. I wonder if this beer is insulting to some and do they plan to picket outside the brewery?

For the record I did not insult Yooper, yes she found it insulting but I did not go out hunting to do it. There is a difference. Today's society has changed

Hey, none of us were the ones who pissed on the floor, we just pointed out how bad it stank.

[sarcasm]OMG that is SO OFFENSIVE. JUST because we pee standing up!!! You are such a sexist feminazi pig who thinks women are better than men! How does this get a pass?!?!??![/sarcasm]

Is the term "girlie car" (eg., VW Beetle) insulting and hurtful? Even though 56% of Beetle buyers are women, compared to making up just 36% of all new vehicle registrations?

Is the term "girlie show" insulting and hurtful? Would you seriously try to convince me that just as many men watch Sex and the City or Vampire Diaries as women?

Have we really reached a point where any kind of gender stereotyping at all - no matter how true - is deemed "offensive?"

I want to know if all the offended women who appreciate a good movie are offended by the term 'chick-flick'. I'm sure there are some women who don't like them, but does that make it an offensive title?

P.S. At home, I pee sitting down so as not to make a mess. You guys should try it.

OK, but what if Person 1 did mean it like that? What if that's just how they feel/believe/think? Why should they have to change their behaviour just because someone else doesn't like it? Isn't it a free country? Doesn't that mean you're free to be an idiot?

Maybe Person 1 and Person 2 just shouldn't be friends? Isn't that OK? We don't all have to believe the same thing - that's what makes this society such a great melting pot, isn't it?

People are free to make idiotic sexist comments. Others are also free to call people who make those comments sexist. We, as a society, change perceptions and behaviors by ostracizing people who make racist, sexist, or whatever remarks.

I personally don't like how far things have gone with being "politically correct" these days, and I think it would be naive to say that there aren't any observable patterns among genders, ethnic groups, etc... I think the key is that when something outside of any given demographic is claimed to be exclusive to that group, people are going to be offended, and (IMO) rightly so.

A lot of my friends have described me as "manly" because I'm tall, sturdy, I've had a beard since I was fifteen and I look like a Viking. I personally don't like that because it implies that a guy who is 5' tall, thin and has sparse facial hair is somehow less of a man. My wife is small and I think most straight men would agree, quite attractive. She also likes fishing, driving big trucks, and could kick most dudes' a$$es if she needed to. Just because fishing, trucks and a$$-kicking are generally associated with men, I don't think this makes my wife any less feminine (or more masculine). I like survival camping, martial arts, pogonotrophy, and power tools. I also like crocheting, think that there are more pros than cons for sitting while you pee, and have longer hair than most women I know. BFD.

Maybe it's more common here in Canada, but I know buttloads of women who really like beer, and not just BMCs or fruity beers. I also know women who operate chainsaws and fly helicopters. And men who don't like hockey or beer.

I called a guy from Québéc a Québécois one time and he got offended because, as he explained, Québécois are separatist. He corrected me and said he's French-Canadian and that he loves this country. I could have gotten my knickers in a knot and told him to calm down and stop overreacting and that it's not such a big deal, but instead I took it as a learning experience and made a friend instead of an enemy.

If I understand things correctly, HBT is about learning and sharing ideas as a community through friendly, open dialogue. Sorry, to drag this thread to the top of the heap, but this is an issue that is quite important to me, and I couldn't resist. The only way to make progress is to talk about it. Those are my two pennies.

And now, to answer the OP. In my experience, people who aren't beer drinkers would be put off by beers where you use a pound of hops or ones with very strong, distinct flavours like Belgian Tripels, for example. If they like wine, fruity beers can be a nice transition, or if they like whiskey, rum, khalua, etc, you might try something with chocolate, toffee, honey or nut flavours. Skål!

And now, to answer the OP. In my experience, people who aren't beer drinkers would be put off by beers where you use a pound of hops or ones with very strong, distinct flavours like Belgian Tripels, for example. If they like wine, fruity beers can be a nice transition, or if they like whiskey, rum, khalua, etc, you might try something with chocolate, toffee, honey or nut flavours. Skål!

Great way to break it down

If I understand things correctly, HBT is about learning and sharing ideas as a community through friendly, open dialogue. Sorry, to drag this thread to the top of the heap, but this is an issue that is quite important to me, and I couldn't resist. The only way to make progress is to talk about it. Those are my two pennies.

I swore I would have nothing to do with this thread, or the OP ever again- but I felt that I had to respond to this.

That was my point. I am no expert, but I can probably brew a fair bit better beer than many that people who want to make "girlie beers" can. I've been at it a lot longer.

I have homebrewing experience, brewery training, BJCP experience, knowledge of ingredients, experience in a brewery, experience with culturing yeast, recipe formulating experience, a tiny group of friends in the brewing world (both homebrewing and commercial), own a system that's been featured in BYO, etc.

I have friends who are brewmasters in commercial brewpubs, friends who own breweries, friends who are homebrewing gurus, and one friend who owns the only self-distributed nano-brewery in Wisconsin.

My gender has NOTHING to do with my ability, my taste buds, my friendships, my contacts, and my ability to outbrew many other brewers (or inability, depending on how you like my beers! :D) But I could be a man or a woman, and that's the great part of this forum.

The funny thing? I've been treated like a "little lady" in homebrew stores, but NEVER by brewmasters and owners of breweries. Jim Koch looked at me in the eye, and talked to me as an equal. Ok, sure, he had to bend down about 8 inches! But my feeling is this- why can Charlie Papazian, John Palmer, Jamil Zainasheff, Ray Daniels, Gordon Strong, Denny Conn, Jim Koch, Jim Maier, and so many others- Mufasa (BJ's), the owner of Black Husky Brewing, my friend Chumly (http://www.thevierling.com/brewery.html), etc,- talk to me like I'm a brewer and treat me with respect, but some person who thinks females like "girly beer"- why does that irritate me?

I guess it's because it's the stereotype that perpetuates.

It was a huge insult to be have certain beers, whatever they are, called "girlie beers". As if women are only capable of liking fruity sweet things, with no palate to discern good beers.

To be insulted, to be denigrated, and then to be told "BFD" to my complaints about stating my feelings is more than a slap in the face. It's an insult to all females of this forum (and there are far more than you'd imagine).

If people, male or female, don't like beer- well, they don't. But there are MANY men who prefer what I would call "girlie beer" over other beer styles. I'm not slamming them, or other men. That's the thing.

My next batch is going to be a Brown Nut Ale, after that I'll be looking to brew up a "girlie batch" of something. fruity , chocolate, maybe an Oatmeal Stout with chocolate

I wish you wouldn't get upset yooper I really don't think the op meant to be offensive maybe his word choice was wrong but for husbands like me and the op we would kill to have a wife like you that would love beers as much as we do. My hobby is great and would love to share it with my wife to the point that she would be as excited as I am about it but alast she doesn't like most beers I still try to find the one that she may like one day and that's part of the fun. And also I try to enjoy her hobbies my wife likes to make quilts and scrapbook and I've become pretty damn good at cutting fabric and sewing a straight line and laying out pictures and stickers to make a sheet look right. My point is me (and probably to op) just want to enjoy my/our wife's company a little more.

I wish you wouldn't get upset yooper I really don't think the op meant to be offensive maybe his word choice was wrong but for husbands like me and the op we would kill to have a wife like you that would love beers as much as we do. My hobby is great and would love to share it with my wife to the point that she would be as excited as I am about it but alast she doesn't like most beers I still try to find the one that she may like one day and that's part of the fun. And also I try to enjoy her hobbies my wife likes to make quilts and scrapbook and I've become pretty damn good at cutting fabric and sewing a straight line and laying out pictures and stickers to make a sheet look right. My point is me (and probably to op) just want to enjoy my/our wife's company a little more.

Nah, I'm not upset. I just was pointing out WHY it's offensive to be told BFD when I said he was offensive.

And to continuing to troll to just shows the level of immaturity and awareness. It's nothing to me, and I can sit here and drink (great) beer out of four taps and laugh.

There are only 3 people on my "ignore and don't look at" list, so that's pretty good out of over 100,000!

OMG, i think I am going to be sick :mad: Try taking an interest in her hobbies. You get my point. My girlfriends are into glutten-free right now.

Yooper said:
Nah, I'm not upset. I just was pointing out WHY it's offensive to be told BFD when I said he was offensive.

And to continuing to troll to just shows the level of immaturity and awareness. It's nothing to me, and I can sit here and drink (great) beer out of four taps and laugh.

There are only 3 people on my "ignore and don't look at" list, so that's pretty good out of over 100,000!

Well for the record I have always respected you and took your knowledge to heart. Hell at one point I started a yooper crush thread about you ( if you remember )

I swore I would have nothing to do with this thread, or the OP ever again- but I felt that I had to respond to this.

That was my point.

Yooper, I was more or less trying to reinforce the points you were making, from a male perspective.

To be insulted, to be denigrated, and then to be told "BFD" to my complaints about stating my feelings is more than a slap in the face. It's an insult to all females of this forum (and there are far more than you'd imagine).

My post wasn't directed at you at all. When I said "BFD" it was in regards to things that I personally don't think should be classified according to gender. BFD if I want to crochet and sit when I urinate because those things aren't an indicator of someone's gender or sexual orientation any more than the kind of beer they do or do not like. I chose to use "BFD" because I saw it used in a belittling way towards you somewhere else on this thread and wanted to turn it around the other way.

My intention was not to offend anyone, especially not on my second post. I've lurked this forum long before I signed up, gleaning info, and learning how to brew without ever joining in the conversation. I've learned ridiculous amounts from you and others here, and learned to brew without ever needing any books or courses. I admire what I've seen from you, not because of your gender, but because you really know your s**t.

I suppose I should have just gone to the introductions section first to ease into things before getting involved in heavy stuff like this, but I saw the thread and couldn't stand seeing someone express that they find something offensive only to be told that they are overreacting and that they should just get over it. And I don't think that just because one woman doesn't find something offensive, the other woman should accept it too. That's like white dudes saying their one black buddy "doesn't mind" the n-word, which somehow gives them a license to use it around other black folks and they shouldn't find it offensive because "my black friend doesn't mind" - I find that absurd. It undermines a persons value as an individual by trying to lump them into a broad category.

Anyways, I'm not trying to step on a bunch of toes and start making enemies. I'm just here for the beer. I guess I'll introduce myself:

Hello. My name is Wes. I'm from Canada. I like to brew beer to drink and share with friends. Hope to get to know y'all better and to contribute to the noble cause of home brewing.

WOW!!!!!!!!:fro:

After reading through this enthralling thread I've come to the conclusion.........................

There's going to be a few man-cards relinquished and turned in soon:D;)

Back