Pumpkin in Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brother Dun

Reaction score
I'm brewing a pumpkin ale this weekend and was debating whether I should put the pumpkin in the mash or into the boil. What are some pros and cons of either method? Has anyone done both and gotten different results?

Thanks!

P.S. I plan on using 2 cans of organic pumpkin, no sugars or additives, just crushed pumpkin.

I have tried both ways and got better results with it in the mash. Although most the flavor comes from the spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.).

i've only done in the mash, but I agree with mrtrav about the spices being the main flavor component.

Do a search - there are a LOT of detailed threads on this that come up each year around this time.

I stopped at five consecutive pro-PIM (pumpkin in the mash) threads before i realized have better things to do than search deeper for negative literature.

And...

Do a search -

Is this a norm in the world of forums? Please, simply explain the main problems with using pumpkin in the mash, and I'll weigh the benefits, try out my pumpkin in the mash recipe, and post my results. Like I said, I had no sticky mashes with PIM before hand, but if you guys can tell me that it does no good, or causes bad flavors, im out. I wont do it.

I understand you're looking for answers, and there is a lot of info out there. I cringe when i tell someone to search sometimes, but the regulars do put a lot of time & effort into answering the type of questions you've asked, only for someone to turn around and ask the same question again without searching at all. So when i say "do a search" it's with respect. More often than not, when someone with a low post count jumps into the forum and asks a very common question, they haven't considered searching. Like i said - i don't mean to insult, and i'm sorry if one takes this as elitist, i'm playing the odds.

Here's a search result.

Here's the mother of threads from last year in attempts to avoid the yearly pumpkin debate.

the last pumpkin beer I made I used 2 big cans of Libby’s pumpkin I think about 6lbs total in the mash and it was a great beer. I have tried some store brand pumpkin beers where you couldn’t taste the pumpkin only the spices but the beer I made definitely had actual pumpkin taste. I would use the pumpkin in the mash and make sure you roast it in the oven for a while.

recipe I used that was great.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/thunderstruck-pumpkin-ale-ag-extract-versions-26699/

I stopped at five consecutive pro-PIM (pumpkin in the mash) threads before i realized have better things to do than search deeper for negative literature.

And...

Is this a norm in the world of forums? Please, simply explain the main problems with using pumpkin in the mash, and I'll weigh the benefits, try out my pumpkin in the mash recipe, and post my results. Like I said, I had no sticky mashes with PIM before hand, but if you guys can tell me that it does no good, or causes bad flavors, im out. I wont do it.

Actually this forum goes WAY to easy on people who won't use it for the resource it is. There is nothing you asked that hasn't been answered a hundred times already. I don't get why people won't accept any info more than a day old, that isn't directed right to them.:confused:

I'll reply to some questions that I see often just so the long time regulars don't have to. I got a lot of info from this site (mostly by searching, and some by reading the same questions and responses that I'm answering), and I feel that I'm giving back to the community. I may suggest doing a search once in a while, but only after I've answered the basic question.

And to the OP, to answer your question: Don't add canned pumpkin to the boil. I tried that once, and the results were not good. Clogged everything up, lost a lot to the trub, and had quite a bit of sediment in the bottles. The beer was somewhat clear when I bottled it, so I'm not sure what the sediment was besides yeast. It was a very nice beer though. Just the right amount of spices, and balanced bitter/malt flavor.

I did do a pumpkin beer where I boiled a whole 5# pumpkin, cut into 1/2 cubes for about 20 minutes. I used the same malt, hops, spices and yeast, but it didn't turn out as well, both in flavor, and ABV.

I also have three pumpkins growing in my garden that I plan on using for another attempt at my pumpkin ale. I'll run 'em through the blender and add to the mash, and see what happens.

I'll agree with most of the people who responded and say definitely use pumpkin in the mash. It really doesn't cause any more problems than a wheat beer mash. If you want, you can check out the pumpkin beer recipe in my dropdown where I discuss using pumpkin and it's benefits. Good luck!

Pumpkin in the mash is not only advised but also fun! A lot of people seem to think that brewing is supposed to be an easy hobby. Of course, those with huge amounts of work/family responsibilities need every break they can get! Those of us with the ability to spend the time necessary to try any and all brewing techniques are truly the lucky ones.

I enjoy setting aside an entire day to muck about with my hobby. Be it a three hour sparge due to pumpkin mash or a 12 hour triple decoction brewday I'm in it for the experience as well as the beer! :ban: :tank:

All of the flavor is going to come from the spice unless you actually do something to the pumpkin...like roast it. I bought some sugar pumpkins, cut them into quarters, roasted them, then scooped out the goods. That way you get some caramelization and some actual flavor from the pumpkin rather than just a slow sparge.

Last things...be careful with the spice, don't go overboard.

Basic brewing radio did a show on pumpkin beers google should be able to help you find it. Sorry I don't have a link for you right now. I am growing some sugar pumpkins and hope to use a few for a brew this fall.
Best of luck.

Basic brewing radio did a show on pumpkin beers google should be able to help you find it. Sorry I don't have a link for you right now. I am growing some sugar pumpkins and hope to use a few for a brew this fall.
Best of luck.

It's one of their 2009 radio podcasts

Latest posts

Back