American stout hop additions ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lehr

Reaction score
I'm going to brew an American stout sunday and wanted 75-77 Ibu.
I'm thinking additions at 60,30,15,0.

30 lbs two row
2 lbs black roasted barley
1.5 lbs chocolate malt
1.5 lbs crystal 40

US05 yeast
These are the hops I have.
magnum
amarillo
chinook
centennial
cascade
columbus
nuggett

I'm kind of leaning towards chinook or columbus as first additions.
Any suggestions on what hops I should use ?

Thanks Pat

Your grainbill (assuming you're doing at 10+ gallon batch) is identical to Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles grainbill. It's good that you're thinking like an award winning brewer!

In that recipe, he advocates 2 hop additions -- a 60 and a 5. Anything classically "American" will do for the 5 minute addition (from your list -- Amarillo, Centennial, Cascade, Columbus); anything high in AA will do for the 60 minute addition (Magnum, Nugget, Chinook, Columbus or even Amarillo or Cenntennial). I think extra additions would be fine but not necessary.

Mkling, A local micro made a american stout and he used I think four hop additions with an almost Ipa hop bill and I thought it tasted great so I thought I would give it a shot.

Thanks Pat

I think ramping up the hops is potentially great. It'll be a great beer whether it's malt focused or leaning a bit more towards the hops.

Let us know how it turns out.

lehr,

Did you brew this? I'm doing an American stout soon and am contemplating a .5oz or 1 oz columbus 10min addition. I'd like to keep it American but depart from the overly citrus hops.

lehr,

Did you brew this? I'm doing an American stout soon and am contemplating a .5oz or 1 oz columbus 10min addition. I'd like to keep it American but depart from the overly citrus hops.

Yes I did brew it but I have six tap handles and they are all full so I'm waiting for a keg to blow right now. The gravity sample tasted great, I have a carb line on the keg so it will be ready when I get room.
I'll let you know how it is soon as I can tap it.

Pat

I love a nice, hoppy stout. Not hoppy like and IPA, but one with discernable hop character to complement the roastiness and balance out the fullness/maltiness. I do three additions, enough to make the hops "there" without making them scream. I think pretty much any of yours will work; I guess I'd be inclined to try Amarillo myself.

Here's what I did on my hop additions.

2.0 oz columbus@60
1.5 oz chinook @ 30
1.5 OZ centennial @ 20
1.0 oz amarillo @ 15
1.0 oz amarillo @ 0

Black roasted barley is about 500SRM while the roasted version is about 350SRM. Same effect though and not to be confused with Black malt, or black patent. Roasted barley and black roasted barley are unmalted. Hope that helps.

Black roasted barley is about 500SRM while the roasted version is about 350SRM. Same effect though and not to be confused with Black malt, or black patent. Roasted barley and black roasted barley are unmalted. Hope that helps.

First, you mean Lovibond, not SRM. SRM is used to measure beer color. Degrees Lovibond are used to measure malt color.

Second, your numbers are meaningful only if you're talking about Briess malts. Other maltsters have different specifications for Roasted Barley. Simpson's, for example, lists their Roasted Barley at 1300 EBC, which is roughly 500L.

More confusingly, many maltsters, including Briess, use proprietary names for their products which make it difficult to make intelligent choices when substituting ingredients. Makes sense for them, I suppose; it takes some experience and detective work to assure yourself that Simpson's Roasted Barley and Briess's Black Roasted Barley are essentially equivalent, but the Simpson's Roasted Barley and Briess's Roasted Barley are not at all alike.

Cheers,

Bob

One thing that gets me is the malsters being so different and still using the same names.

Roasted Barley is what made a stout the black color it is, and what defined a stouts profile from not being just another type of porter. Roasted barley is around 500 L or so. 350l is more of brown color. If you added that alone you'd get a brown beer.

It is just like the thread that says Black IPA... Say huh??

Back