outer banks north carolina

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gone

Reaction score
im going to nags head this weekend. it looks like they have two nearby brewpubs, outer banks brewing station and weeping radish. has anyone been to either of these? would you recommend one over the other, not just for beer but food as well? thanks

im going to nags head this weekend. it looks like they have two nearby brewpubs, outer banks brewing station and weeping radish. has anyone been to either of these? would you recommend one over the other, not just for beer but food as well? thanks

I've been to both. You can't lose with either. Weeping radish has all German food, so if that's something you're into(I am), you're good.
OBBS has a good menu as well, not necessarily specializing in anything. I guess American food would be a good description. Both have very good beer as well. Like I said, can't go wrong with either. WR is a bit of a drive from Nag's Head(20 min or so). I think OBBS is in Kitty Hawk or Kill Devil Hills, Which is just down the road. I'm jealous.

Weeping Radish Farm Brewery is actually located on the way into Nags Head if your coming from the North (i.e. Virginia Beach) on Highway 158/168. The only downfall is though the self-guided tour the samples do cost money....

Also if you plan on driving your vehicle on the sand in Hatteras I would advise checking to see what entrances are open/closed to insure you can get Beach access. (Turtles and "endangered" birds should be moving in the area and they close down access at certain times of the year).

I went to OBBS yesterday and wasn't impressed with much.
I started with the Belgin wit and that was pretty good. An easy drinking beer with corriander, bitter orange peel and pepper.
Then I had a bottle conditioned wheat with lemon grass. I'd have had more of this if it was on tap.:mug:
I finished with a spicy golden ale. Not my favorite.
The beers were all well brewed.
My disappointment came from our waiter. Zero personality and terrible service. 20% gratuity included on the bill! :mad:
Average food at best with a $7-$10 price tag for a lunch sandwich.

Bull

The weeping radish used to be on the outer banks but moved to the mainland for some reason. The old building had awesome atmosphere and I wish they would have stayed, oh well. Their beer is okay. They have a standard lager, an amber ale (Fest, which is my favorite), a weizen which is nothing special and maybe another beer or two. I recommend them because of the food, not the beer. They team up with local farmers and have local, organic meat options on their menu.

The Brewing Station is in Kill Devil Hills, I don't remember which mile post marker. It is a very cool place powered by their own wind mill (brilliant since it's so windy there ALL THE TIME) Their beer is good, as is their food. Nothing there has jumped out at me as spectacular but nothing was bad either. The only drawbacks here are, it's very busy most of the time and they do not fill growlers that are not their own.

While you are in Kill Devil Hills, there is a great 6 pack shop at Milepost 6 (the Mile post 6 plaza) called Chips Wine and Beer mart which is well worth the stop.

Also, if you are staying in Corolla, all of this stuff is really far south of you. Near the Food Lion is a little brew pub (it should still be open). It's a cool place tucked away and although it's expensive (everything is there) it's nice.

Nothing much to add except to say that the above posts are what I would say. I really liked the beer/food at OBBS. WR on your way in or out.

I enjoyed an evening in Manteo...not much for beer selection but more laid back than OBX.

Also picked up a local secret at WR....There is an 'open house' at Dare County range in July every year. Looks like a good time to see mega bucks airplanes shooting ammo up close.

Have fun

I was in the OBX last week. We were very much a presense at Chips. OBBS was good, I thought the Lemon Grass Wheat was exellently done. We drank a lot of that. Went to the Full Moon Brewery in Manteo, thought the Lost Colony Ale was horrible.

Stopped @ Chips yesterday and picked up a 6 of Carolina Brewing Co. Pale Ale. I was pleased with that and will go back for their tastings when time permits.

Weeping Radish today for the brewery tour. After the tour I had a sampler of their beers and was pleased with most. The Black Radish was my favorite. The new IPA was not an IPA. Not even a PA! 25 ibu's and no backbone at all. Thin and watery.

I had a lunch sausage sampler with 3 different sausages, sauerkraut,and a German pretzel. Everything was excellent! The meats are all local and processed without nitrates and or additional chemicals. Organic veggies, etc.

Well worth the visit.

Back