Let's talk kegerator/min-fridge: Oster, Haier, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dan-

Reaction score
I am debating right now if I should buy a mini-fridge and convert it, or possibly buy a Haier or Danby kegerator.

A lot of sources online tell me NOT to by a Danby from Home Depot or Sams Club. The units don’t cool below 41-42 and don’t hold temperatures…among a lot of other problems.
Online reviews tell me similar about Haier. Apparently once the fridge fails, customer service doesn’t give a darn about you. I also read that it is not the best unit to hold temperatures (but still seems better than Dandy).

Then we have the mini fridges. The Frigidaire min-fridge from Lowe’s seems to be not the best choice when it comes to setting up a tower due to the cooling lines (see recent posting in DIY).
What about the Oster mini-fridges from Best Buy who seem to have replace Sanyo units? Both, the 4.6 and 6cu unit, seem to host cornelius kegs. Pros? Cons?
And then there are the GE and Kenmore mini-fridges. Sears sells both of them but I haven’t really found too much information about it.
And then there are still the Haier fridges. Circuit City has the 4.6cu unit for $122 these days. Are these the same they use for their kegerators?

have you considered going with a freezer and using a temp controller? just curious.

I nabbed my 5.5cf chest freezer for $50 used. It keeps things as cold as I can stand and has tons of room with no real modifications.

you might have ruled it out, just thought I'd ask real quick.

I'd like to put the kegerator somewhere near my kitchen or dining room. Thought about a freezer, but that's is not really an option right now. :(

gotcha. I shopped the min-fridges for a bit before going the keezer route. Unfortunately, not enough to help you much here. good luck with it.

Back