temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkngs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm half way through fermenting my 2nd batch. This time I'm using a Sanyo 4912 minifridge & a Ranco temp controller. It's the AHS fat tire kit, and I set the Ranco to 65F.

One thing I've noticed is that with the differential at it's default setting, the temp ranges from 64-69. Is that too much variance? Have I thermally shocked my yeast?

I could set the temp differential lower, but I've heard that it's bad for the fridge for the compressor to come on too often. I taped the sensor to the side of my ale pale to try and stabilize it some, and it seems to go a long time between cycles. Should I dial it in tighter?

How small of a differential do you guys with temp control aim for?

As long as the compressor fires up each time, you are fine.

Sometimes when the intervals are too short...it will cause the compressor to short cycle. That is because of the heat/pressure that is built up when it is running. The pressure causes the overload switch to trip.

If it sits for 5 minutes of so before starting back up...it will be fine.

A 5 degree variance should not cause a problem with the compressor or the yeast. Your wort temp will not vary as much as the ambient temp in the fridge. I actually set my variance to 4 degrees, no prob with the compressor.

Brew on!

Back