carbing a keg w/ sugar or dme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I've tried the cold shakey method, but I'd like to try using sugar or DME to carb my SNPA clone. My LHBS guy told me to use less than i would with bottling, but I forgot how much. Can you tell me how much I would use with either choice?

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
I've tried the cold shakey method, but I'd like to try using sugar or DME to carb my SNPA clone. My LHBS guy told me to use less than i would with bottling, but I forgot how much. Can you tell me how much I would use with either choice?
The ROT is half of what you'd use for bottling.

Good luck,
Wild

Wow, I must have missed these replies. Luckily, half is what I ended up doing. Since this is only my second kegged brew, I figured I try both ways and see what I like best.

wild said:
The ROT is half of what you'd use for bottling.

Good luck,
Wild

does anybody know why that is? I'd say that you want to have the same amount of CO2 in your bottled beer and your keged beer. This leads me to the assumption that you want to use the same amount of priming sugar/extract.

Kai

Kaiser said:
does anybody know why that is? I'd say that you want to have the same amount of CO2 in your bottled beer and your keged beer. This leads me to the assumption that you want to use the same amount of priming sugar/extract.

Kai
I think bottles tend to have a higher CO2 volume than kegged beer. I bet this is a big reason that kegged beer taists different than bottled. Maybe lower carbonization levels result in less foaming of kegged beer?
OK my response to this quiestion was more of a hypothesis. :mug:

Back