fresh "orange" wine help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad hops

Reaction score
Me and my wife have freinds with plenty of orange's or tangerines... and my wife said as she was in college she use to make fresh fruit wine for cheap. but come to find out that her process of making the wine was not quite good or even supposidly safe. all she said she did was ...
she said she cleaned 15 pounds of fruit in that case strawberries
and mixed with 6 pounds of sugar
as well as 3 gallons of water

she said that was it no yeast and no straing or even juicing. she let it stand for around 3 months and then strained and bottled for imediate drinking. she said they drank it all imediatly.
we were told that this kind of making wine is dangerous from a homebrew store. he said wildyeast can kill. when it comes down to what our outcome we are looking for is a recipe, is that process dangerous or any advice or hints or opinions.
:confused:

Well, it's definitely not dangerous! It might not taste good, but it won't hurt you.

Making good wine from fresh fruit is easy and so worth it! The best information I've ever found is on Jack Keller's website: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/basics.asp

He talks about everything and explains it all in simple terms. He also has a great recipe for wine from oranges:http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques33.asp
Now, that recipe assumes a basic understanding of winemaking, so read the basic first about sanitation and "racking" the wine as to not oxygenate it. He also explains which yeast to use and how to use it!

His site is a little hard to navigate, but it's so worth it!

Let us know if you need more help!

You were exposed to the proverbial "Smoke blown up your a$$" Wild yeast will not kill you. Now other bacterias like Botulism or Salmonella can harm you. I am sure they were trying to sell you supplies. I personally wouldn't recommend making wine that way though as it will not be that fantastic or probably even good. Jack Keller's site is a great place to learn from. I recommend you use yeast to ferment though. :)

Back