Dry hopping - whole or pellet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtus

Reaction score
I'm planning to dry hop my next batch. What works best? Whole or pellets? If using whole do you bag them? Certainly would want to bag pellets... I've heard whole have better aroma from less processing but will absorb some beer. I'm planning to put them in the secondary.

Use whole hops for dry hopping...don't bag them, just toss em in. Yes they'll absorb a little beer, but you won't have that nasty pellet residue to worry about.

Whole hops really excel in dry hopping. Nothing like the aroma of whole hops. Elsewhere, pellets are about the same. I don't bag for dry, but bagging is a bit neater.

whole hops for sure. and don't use a hop bag. you don't get the surface area exposed like when you just toss 'em in secondary. mmmmm......hops........

I like whole, too. Shove 'em in and they'll eventually get saturated. It seems to work well when you siphon to tie one a mesh hop bag to the end of your cane; otherwise, I always wind up with problems with the hops clogging up my cane.

Latest posts

Back