ARRRRGH! Beersmith Eqip Profiles and Scaling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mttaylor1066

Reaction score
I thought this would be so simple.... buy the latest release of Beersmith, add in my 5 gallon recipes, hit the Scale button and,,, Presto! I have a 2.5 gallon recipe.

Boy, was I wrong. I am about ready to tear my hair out.

I set up a profile of my EXTRACT brewpot (8 gallons used for a 5 gallon batch) and picked out values that I though made sense.

Typed in a recipe for an Unearthly IIPA clone... hit the scale button and WHAMMO! The 4 oz. of hops I would use for a 5 gallon batch changed to 4.65 oz in the 2.5 gallon batch... and the bitterness scale goes off the chart.

How can the software "scale down" to 1/2 the batch size yet "scale up" the hops used? Makes no sense to me at all.

After reading posts on this forum I assumed that my equipment profile was to blame. I used the already-input 3 Gallon Pot profile... hit the scale button and now it calls for 4,417 oz. of hops (That is 4 THOUSAND 4 Hundred ounces of hops.)

Something is really messed up.

Where have I gone wrong?

Back