Gremlin Drool in Bottled Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishkabibble

Reaction score
I bottled 4 brews 2.5 weeks ago, hoping to drink them this weekend at the 3 week point. They're all around 5.5% ABV, and none of the them smelled funky or looked weird at bottling. Everything was cleaned/sanitized as usual. The fruit was added to their secondaries after hitting 160F and cooling, the cocoa powder and vanilla x were also added to their secondaries.

Last night I was labeling them and noticed the following things:

Vanilla Oatmeal Stout:
totally opaque, bottle of midnight

Chocolate O' Stout:
99% opaque, 1/2" settled schmutz at bottle bottom

Mango Wheat:
random, miniscule black dots at various depths, some streamers of what appears to be thin, light yeast tendrils of snot, and 1/4" sediment

Raspberry Wheat:
kool-aid clear, nipply pink w/the occasional snot streamer, 1/4" sediment

i'm divided on whether the streamers and dots will settle once refrigerated, or whether i'm in denial over the fruit being infected. i'm also worried that the stouts pass so little light, and i just can't see the ropy gossamer gremlin drool within. heisenberg's fearing a dead cat.

any thoughts?

Cold crash them all. Get them all to fridge temps for about 2-3 weeks and they will settle, go through and past the chill haze phase, and practically all proteins and yeast snot will fall out of suspension.

It is doubtful you have an infection, but if you do happen to, getting those beers in the fridge will also exponentially slow down the infection and possibly save the beer.

that sounds like solid advice! many thanks! i'll give cold-crashing a go. sorry i couldn't upload any pics. aside from this computer i'm a bit of a luddite.

Back