Hefe Weizen in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottT

Reaction score
Is there a reason to leave it there for more than a week? I'm not expecting it to clear and I'd like to get to drinking it sooner if I can.

So what do you think? 1 week primary and 1 week secondary 2 weeks in bottles?

ScottT said:
Is there a reason to leave it there for more than a week? I'm not expecting it to clear and I'd like to get to drinking it sooner if I can.

So what do you think? 1 week primary and 1 week secondary 2 weeks in bottles?

What is your target FG (~1.011 or so)? Have you reached it? I've noticed that it will take 1 wk in primary and 1.5-2 weeks in the secondary to make sure its fully fermented. HW beers are ususally dryer. As sweet HW doesn't taste right so its worth checking if you're beer is done.

-Eric

It's starting to clear too much and the FG is at 1.008 I don't expect it to go any lower. I'll be botteling it this weekend.

I finished making the Franziskaner Hefeweisse that I got from El Pistolero and had my first blow off out the air lock. Good thing I read this message board otherwise I wouldent have had any idea what to do about it.
11240917-PICT0345_001.JPG

11030917-PICT0347_001.JPG

ScottT said:
It's starting to clear too much and the FG is at 1.008 I don't expect it to go any lower. I'll be botteling it this weekend.

Sounds perfect! Don't worry too much about the clearing in the secondary with wheat beers. The yeast provides a good chunk of cloudieness. Stir up some (don't konck the entire thing into the beer) the yeast cake on the bottom when you are transfering to make sure the beer is "mit heffe."

-Eric

Back