Alabama...**sigh**

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father in law lives in Jasper,Alabama and I've spent a lot of time there. I love the state but the homebrew law is a freakin joke.

Doesn't Home Depot sell buckets,burners,copper tubing,stainless tubing, rubber hose, and propane? Was the ABC over there takin their stuff? If they weren't then the raid was highly unjust.

Alabama is one of my favorite states(right behind the great commonwealth of Kentucky of course), but their lawmakers need to get a grip.

On second thought screw em. If you're in northern Alabama drive a couple hours up to Four Seasons in Nashville and fill up the truck and take it back to Alabama. Or Rebel Brewer is just about 30 minutes from there.

If your really feelin frisky go about another 1 1/2 hours north and come drink some beer with me. The doors always open to my friends from the south.

Doesn't Home Depot sell buckets,burners,copper tubing,stainless tubing, rubber hose, and propane? Was the ABC over there takin their stuff? If they weren't then the raid was highly unjust.

The difference is intent. There needs to be intent to brew for it to be illegal.

My point is if I couldn't get that stuff at the HB store Id go to Home Depot and get it with the INTENT to brew.

My point is if I couldn't get that stuff at the HB store Id go to Home Depot and get it with the INTENT to brew.

That'd make YOU illegal, not Home Depot. A homebrew store is possessing equipment "to be used" for homebrewing...intent is clear. Just b/c you intend to brew with Home Depot stuff, does not incriminate HD.

Again, I'm saying it's a good law, just trying to clear up how it works.

Sounds like all you guys in Alabama need to take a trip to Home Depot to pick up some equipment "Not for HomeBrewing"... If I lived in Alabama, screw the state, I'd brew anyway and just call it civil disobedience on my part. Prohibition is just dumb whether it's for Marijuana or Alcohol. The only thing it does is criminalize otherwise good people over an arbitrary law that's in place because of other more evil factors. In this case those appear to be religion and big business with the Southern Baptists and Anheuser Busch being two of the biggest lobbying forces against allowing home brewing in the state. Wow.

Sounds like all you guys in Alabama need to take a trip to Home Depot to pick up some equipment "Not for HomeBrewing"... If I lived in Alabama, screw the state, I'd brew anyway and just call it civil disobedience on my part. Prohibition is just dumb whether it's for Marijuana or Alcohol. The only thing it does is criminalize otherwise good people over an arbitrary law that's in place because of other more evil factors. In this case those appear to be religion and big business with the Southern Baptists and Anheuser Busch being two of the biggest lobbying forces against allowing home brewing in the state. Wow.

No one brews here. No one. Got it bub? ;)

BlackRock said:

I second that emotion. Testify brother BlackRock.

TyTanium said:
The difference is intent. There needs to be intent to brew for it to be illegal.

This sounds like a cop talking. Am I right.

...If I lived in Alabama, screw the state, I'd brew anyway and just call it civil disobedience on my part. Prohibition is just dumb whether it's for Marijuana or Alcohol. The only thing it does is criminalize otherwise good people over an arbitrary law that's in place because of other more evil factors....

Spoken like a true Seattlite.

No. Just one who tries to understand the laws. There's often more to it with cases like this, so I'm hesitant to rush to judgment.

petie said:

I'm not sure what your point is here. Intent is a basic category of the law. TyTanium might sound like a cop, or he might sound like someone who's smart enough to know what will and won't get him arrested.

Your semantics may seem like compelling arguments to you, but they won't protect you from legal prosecution. That's what's relevant to anyone living in Alabama.

If I lived in Alabama, screw the state, I'd brew anyway and just call it civil disobedience on my part.

From what I hear, there are people doing just that...to a degree. You can call it civil disobedience, just don't call it too loud or you will end up in trouble with the law and the only thing that you will be brewing is prison hooch.

If I were to brew in Alabama, I would rather go about my business quietly and work to change the laws, but I guess maybe I'm just too old to be be so rebellious...;)

From what I hear, there are people doing just that...to a degree. You can call it civil disobedience, just don't call it too loud or you will end up in trouble with the law and the only thing that you will be brewing is prison hooch.

If I were to brew in Alabama, I would rather go about my business quietly and work to change the laws, but I guess maybe I'm just too old to be be so rebellious...;)

You dare to use logic and sound reasoning in this state?? Suppose the next thing you're gonna tell me is that you have indoor plumbing, shoes, and electricity! Uppity is what you is.

So are we banning people from registering to this site that live in AL. :) Such a weird event to happen to one store and not another

I'm definitely not saying I'd be vocal about brewing beer if that's where I lived. Just saying that's how I'd feel about it. I'd probably never actually tell anyone I knew that I brewed and would just quietly drink my beer and telling friends that an out of state buddy brewed up this sub 6% brew.

So are we banning people from registering to this site that live in AL. :) Such a weird event to happen to one store and not another

As a Mississippian I fully support the banning of all Alabamians from HBT! Translation: pot meet kettle. :fro:

Oddly enough there aren't any laws that I'm aware of in MS making brewing equipment illegal. However alcohol manufacturing without a license, etc. are plainly outlined in the MS code.

As for this happening to one store and not another, that's just the inefficiency of the state and it's enforcement apparatus. Besides we're all felons anyway, just read the law ... what's that? Oh it would take 3 lifetimes reading at a college level to read all the current US laws and the job would never be completed going on infinitum. Sort of sad, sort of amusing, wholly disgusting.

Back