Temperature for Secondary / Bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtchuck

Reaction score
With the warm weather finally arriving, I moved my primary bucket to the cellar where the air temperature is about 60 F... so I'm guessing with the heat of fermentation, I'm in the low to mid 60's, about right for the ales I'm brewing.

I racked to the secondary and moved it to the cellar as well, but I'm wondering if the cooler temps are necessary during the conditioning phase? Or are the off flavors caused by high temperatures only a concern during primary fermentation?

And what about bottle conditioning? I'm thinking warmer temps ~75 F would speed up carbonation.

TIA

The primary fermentation is the crucial phase. I usually try to condition at the same temp as fermentation but mostly for convenience and I'm only doing ales, lagers is likely a different story. As far as bottling goes I store them for 1-2 weeks at room temp and then back into the cooler part of the house for bottle conditioning/storage.

Yep, just like Got Trub said. Let them carbonate at room temperature for a week or two, then move them to the cooler temps. Cellar temps are best for storing ales.

Back