Huge Temp Drop! Is My yeast ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugaboo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I brewed yesterday and set my pid on my fermentation fridge to 66. Woke just checked out my beer to make sure some bubbling had started and the temp was down to 33.

First question is that if I bring my temp back up will the yeast still be viable? I used 2 packs of S-05 and a smack pack of rogue's pacman.

If so, how slowly should the temp be brought? Currently I just unplugged my fridge and was going to let it naturally rise to my basement temp which is about 62 right now.

If I can't expect my yeast to be viable, I'm assuming repitching will not be an issue right now?

Second question is how in the F did my pid do that? When I checked it it was set to negative 60 degrees and the high limit was also neg 60 ( I think high limit is P-SH). FYI it was unplugged for 3 months while I did a bathroom remodel this winter. Also the Pid is wired for heating with a light bulb and cooling with the fridge.

Really I'm concerned with saving this beer, so any answers to the first question are greatly appreciated.

I think the yeast is fine. You probably just put them to sleep, but you didn't kill them. Rouse them and let the temp rise naturally

Yeah, rousing is the plan for now. Was hoping someone might have firsthand experience with this problem. I store my yeast at the same temp as my serving kegs, which is about 38, so that's not much different than 33. Just concernd about a yeast that went from 38 to 65 to 33 all in one day.

It's probably fine. Just like Tim said, if you rock the fermenter (not enough to splash, just to mix) you'll stir up the yeast cake again from the bottom and they'll get back to work.

Worst case, if you don't see any activity after a day or two, pitch another smack pack.

I'll post what happens to this beer in a couple days. I kind of hope there's no activity. Would hate to have a batch of 1/2 viable yeast start to ferment and not finish properly. I'm thinking I'll add my backup s-05 as insurance. Meanwhile I'm gonna hit the batch with some more oxygen as per my original plan anyways and see what happens.

This batch under attenuated. Stopped at 1.028. Bright side is I'm using my hop rocket as a randal for the first time with this, so the strong hop flavor is hiding how overly heavy the beer is for an IPA. My buddy thinks the hop rocket is so awesome that he'd probably drink anything I pushed through it, so it's definitely gonna get drank

Latest posts

Back