Homebrew stores and Microbrews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windaria

Reaction score
OK... for the most part it seems as if these two types of entities are on opposite sides of the spectrum, while both being in the same camp. That is, while both being alcohol-related, the two are sort of in competition.

So my thought was this... wouldn't it be totally awesome if there was a Microbrew/Homebrew place? A Microbrew that, instead of having staple beers that they just did with the occasional experimentation, and that great food that all Microbrews seem to have, instead focused on experimentation with very few staples. One that did their beers in 6 gallon batches (except, again, for the few staples), and had an assortment of kegs behind the bar, but also sold homebrew supplies. That way you could go in, taste whatever they had in that day (the 16 shots of various beers special would be very popular, I am sure), and decide what one you liked, then ask for the recipe and go home and brew some of your own. In addition to eating that incredible food, mind you. <smiles>

I mean... wouldn't that truly be a beervania?

I'd definately frequent such an establishment, but you would limit yourself to fairly adventurous customers and real beer snobs. A lot of people would want to go in and have 'the usual' (ie; something they know they like.)

You'd probably have to have a few staples to build a decent return customer base and keep things afloat.

-walker

whoops.. i read the original post too quickly. you said you WOULD have a few staples.

Sounds great! When/where are you going to open it? :)

-walker

An interesting idea, not viable as there is too much work involved in making small batches. The closest thing I've heard of is in Orange Country, CA. It's a supply store and an on-premises homebrewery where people rent brewing gear by the batch. They have fermentation cabinets and bottling gear as well. The guy I know that uses the place, says there are always a dozen people brewing on weekends and just about everyone shares.

See that is the thing... while I know that there is a decent bit of work involved, most resturaunts and microbrews that are open during daylight hours have a decent bit of down time between lunch and dinner. Since I rarely keep regular working hours, or always seem to take lunch at odd times when I do, I often marvel that I am the only person in an establishment. As a result, I figure that during that down time you could easily have your staff, instead of sitting around doing nothing, tend to things.

Also, instead of having the brewing stuff out back, you could do it in the general area, sort of like the decorations? THat way you could tend to stuff while you watch your customers.

I don't know... Maybe lean more toward the homebrew end than the microbrew, all I know is that since I have no idea what I like, I just know that, if NOTHING else, I would LOVE it if I could go to my local homebrew and sample stuff to get ideas or figure out what I want to try making. And if you did something like that, you could probably also attract more people to buying the homebrew equipment, if they could see just how easy it is.

That's why I figure the manpower could actually be relatively evenly distributed, and why it could be profitable. Oh well...

At the moment, since I have never actually tried a beer I like, I'd just be happy finding one of those microbrews around Houston where I could try 16 shot glasses of different things and get a recipe for one of them from them, but that will never happen. Blah.

There's a place a bit like that around town here. Only problem is that it caters pretty strictly to the homebrewed wine crowd (no beers). Seems like a similar idea though. Has a nice bar where you can sample a number of drinks made from the supplies they sell, as well as a glass walled kitchen area you walk past as you enter where someones making more wine and plenty of fermenters.

Well thank you very much, so the idea IS feasible, too bad it is just wine only (though, I must admit, that is mostly what I am interested in... well that and mead and cider, but basically the same type of things). Now it'd just be cool if that kind of place would open up in more areas, and be more... broad in their focus. Or, rather, lack such a focus. <smiles>

david_42 said:
An interesting idea, not viable as there is too much work involved in making small batches. The closest thing I've heard of is in Orange Country, CA. It's a supply store and an on-premises homebrewery where people rent brewing gear by the batch. They have fermentation cabinets and bottling gear as well. The guy I know that uses the place, says there are always a dozen people brewing on weekends and just about everyone shares.

FWIW-There is another one of these in Shrewsbury, MA called Deja-Brew (haven't seen many others here from MA). My neighbor has brewed a bunch of kegs there for our neighborhood party each fall. Beer was great. he brewed with his wife and two sons. they got a kick out of it.

There's a spot in Philly that works the same way as the joint in Sacremento- they will brew to your specs or allow you to bring in your own ingredients, I believe. I have not gone to them but some other home brewers I know have tried it and been pleased.

Back