Green Tea IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INWarner413

Reaction score
Inspired by Stone's Collaboration Green Tea IPA, I recently brewed a DIPA that should come in around 8% ABV with 102.6 IBU. I'm wanting to add some green tea leaves [either this or this] to it during secondary, alongside dry hopping.

From what I've read, the way to add it is to "dry hop" it by putting it into a straining bag; so, one could say it will be teabagged. The only question I have is how much green tea I should add. .5 oz? 1 oz? 2 oz? 1 lb? I literally have no clue. How much is too much, and how much is too little? I'm hoping to have noticeable, but not overpowering green tea flavoring. Anyone have experience with this?

How many gallons?

I did a twelve gallon Pumpkin poerter (actaully ale gravity...) and used two Bigelow green tea bags. The tea flavor was very subtle.

Two bags in 12 gallons is pretty thin. Hope this helps.

...look through the links at the bottom of the page for more info too.

Pretty good thread. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading

Back