I want a electric set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there are a lot of questions which would help determine what will fit your needs. What volumes do you want to be able to work with? what type of access do you have to a 240v outlet? what kind of cash you are willing to spend etc. I would look at some builds here, lots of really good 240v builds around, most of them PID controlled and using water heater elements. there are also possibilities for 120v etc.

To start off easy, build a couple of 120V heatsticks.

For 2000 watt elements, you will need access to two 20 Amp circuits.

A couple of 2kw sticks are sufficient for 10 gallon batches. They can be used to heat mash/sparge water and for the boil.

Listen to the Good Cpt Kirks, He knows what he's talking about.
I just put my new electric system to the test this weekend. Best brew day I have had in a long time.
2 2000watt heat sticks, and 2 20amp ciruits. 2 ten gallon gott coolers for a Mash Tun and Hot Liqure Tanks and 1 12 gallon pot.
Add a March or Chugger Pump to the mix and you have a nice little system for not too, too, much money.

Edit:
Also read all the posts in the section to get a good Idea about what others do and the possibilities that exist.
If you do not have any electrical experience at all, then consult with a professional because you can kill, maim, or hurt yourself if you do not know what you are doing.

I'm putting together a pid driven 2 loop 120v system. eventually will utilize 2000w rims tube and a pump, then a 1500w and 2000w pair of elements in the kettle (so i can run pump and 1500w element at the same time on one loop and 2000w element on the other loop all at once) I can post pictures of kettle and controls when its done, rims tube and pump will be next phase.

Read read read...best advise I can offer. Simple is just as hard as a proper setup, it seems. You start simple but then say "Well if I'm doing this, I should do this..." I need this to control it, so why not do this instead, etc. Read every build thread you can.

The simplest is probably heatsticks, but definitely they have the highest failure rate, and when an electrical item fails in water, it'll likely be shorting out, shorting out something that's pulling 15+ amps in a pot holding 10 gallons of water that you're likely close to touching, probably not an amazing thing for life expectancy :)

Do it safe, and do it thorough, don't cut corners. But yeah, read everything here like three times and that'll get you on the right track :)

Read read read...best advise I can offer. Simple is just as hard as a proper setup, it seems. You start simple but then say "Well if I'm doing this, I should do this..." I need this to control it, so why not do this instead, etc. Read every build thread you can.

The simplest is probably heatsticks, but definitely they have the highest failure rate, and when an electrical item fails in water, it'll likely be shorting out, shorting out something that's pulling 15+ amps in a pot holding 10 gallons of water that you're likely close to touching, probably not an amazing thing for life expectancy :)

Do it safe, and do it thorough, don't cut corners. But yeah, read everything here like three times and that'll get you on the right track :)

If the stick is properly made, grounded and connected to a GFCI protected circuit, it is safe. And element built in can fail too, you know.

For an education, I highly recommend reading www.theelectricbrewery.com. Even if you decide to go with something much simpler, you will have gained an understanding of the principles.

If the stick is properly made, grounded and connected to a GFCI protected circuit, it is safe. And element built in can fail too, you know.

Oh certainly, but you're less likely to be touching it when it does fail, and there's more points, bends, and water proofing required for a heat stick than the single hole and generally accepted and available sealing for said hole.

Back