sanitizer foam in bottles??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
which kind of sanitizer are you using?

I'm most familiar with StarSan which is a no-rinse sanitizer...you're totally fine if there is still a little foam in your bottles (or whichever equipment you are sanitizing).

Whatever you do DO NOT rinse away the foam after you've sanitized them. This will defeat the purpose of sanitizing them.

If you want to reduce foam you have two options:

1. let equipment (bottles) dry upside down on something sanitary
2. when you pour your sanitized solution out of the bottles, don't flip them upside down and let it rush out fast...it causes more foam and bubbles in bottle. If anything, pour out sanitized solution slowly at an angle...you'll have much less foam

Bottom line though: don't fear the foam!

I'm 35 batches in and haven't had an issue yet.

Cheers

Surferdrew is right, starsan foam in bottles is fine, in fact it's actually really good. It breaks down into yeast food when it comes in contact with the beer.

Don't fear the foam!!!

I purposely put some in my bottling bucket, close it, and shake the living hell out to make a nice, thick layer of foam in the bottom. Then when I rack beer into it, should any dust, hair, whatever fall in, it hits Star-san foam first, hopefully zapping any bad bugs.

Surferdrew is right, starsan foam in bottles is fine, in fact it's actually really good. It breaks down into yeast food when it comes in contact with the beer.

Just out of curiosity how long does this take to break down? It has been 3 days since I bottled and if I shake up one of the bottles the beer looks very "soapy" or "bubble bathy" Would you think the starsan should still be in the sudsy form at this point?

never mind im just being paranoid. I have some store bought beer that behaves the same way. I must have a significant level of carbonation already

Leave the poor beer ALONE!!:D

Did you mix the Starsan to the proper proportions? 1 fluid ounce to 5 gallons of tapwater, and it is a no rinse sanitizer. I bottle and rack into bottling buckets and fill up fermentors with Starsan foam on top all of the time, without problems.

And if you STILL are worried about it, you are no more than a couple of hours from me, so bring the beer over and I will taste test it for you to make sure it is safe. It will take quite a bit of sampling to be sure, but when I return the last 6 pack to you, you can be sure that there is no soapy taste to it.

Leave the poor beer ALONE!!:D

Did you mix the Starsan to the proper proportions? 1 fluid ounce to 5 gallons of tapwater, and it is a no rinse sanitizer. I bottle and rack into bottling buckets and fill up fermentors with Starsan foam on top all of the time, without problems.

And if you STILL are worried about it, you are no more than a couple of hours from me, so bring the beer over and I will taste test it for you to make sure it is safe. It will take quite a bit of sampling to be sure, but when I return the last 6 pack to you, you can be sure that there is no soapy taste to it.

gee you offer to "help" me sounds intriguing :p. I will take you advice and just leave it alone.

Latest posts

Back