How important is cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
Ok. I know that everyone wants to chill their wort ASAP and believe me, I do too. But how bad does it get when you don't?

I haven't built my wort chiller yet but I am doing full boils in a 9gallon pot and yes, it takes forever to cool down. I have tried various methods (like splitting into two smaller pots and using ice baths over and over) but it still takes too long. My Irish Red took me 45 or so minutes to cool to 80 F.

Now, how bad is this? Does anyone have a good example of doing everything else right but taking too long to chill and the beer turning out horrible? Or does someone have examples of their beer taking too long to chill (like 45 minutes or longer) and still turning out fantastic? Because everything else went awesome for this brew and I guess I'm just wondering how this will turn out.

Thanks everyone :ban:

Some guys don't chill it at all(rapidly, at least). Do a search for "no chill" method. As long as your sanitation is spot on, you'll be just fine.

Some guys don't chill it at all(rapidly, at least). Do a search for "no chill" method. As long as your sanitation is spot on, you'll be just fine.

Sweet! I've never heard of the "no chill" method, but I'll look it up. I've been really wanting to build a wort chiller because of how important it's made out to seem, but didn't want to spend the money for what they want online or LHBS for a good one, ya know? And copper is pretty expensive these days

I don't have any first hand knowledge for you but check out no chill brewing. Also, check out coppertubingsales.com. They have the best pricing on copper that I've seen and I've seen them recommended but a lot of people around here. IMHO building an immersion chiller or even a counterflow chiller is one of the easier DIY brewing items to make.

Yeah the chiller is gonna happen. I just spent $600 on my freezer and keezer setup so I'm almost tapped out for now. But xmas is right around the corner! Merry Brewing to me and Merry brewing to all! :mug:

I just picked up 50' for 3/8" from Home Depot for $40. Other fittings 5-10?? Made it over the weekend. Only doing extract right now but took my wort down to 80* in under 5mins. It was only 2.25gal and I have very cold water right now but still, awesome. Highly recommend the IC!

I just did the same thing (bought 50' of 3\8 copper tubing from home depot) and made a Counterflow chiller with the least expencive garden hose I could find 50' ($9.99) the phill chill fittings were given to me so that was an expence saver, but the whole setup cost me $60. Far better price than any LHBS that Ive seen. I havnt even used it yet so i cant tell you how well it works but I'm assuming it should be suficient.

Back