Munich Smash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battery_BreweryNJ

Reaction score
Im planning to make a smash using Munich malt. How should i go about mashing? I was told i should have a long protein rest, but ive never done a protein rest before. I need some help... Thanks in advance.

I've done a munich/mt. hood smash with wlp830 lager yeast, with just a single infusion with great results, I don't think you need a protein rest for a munich smash.

I did a Munich SMaSH with Saaz. I mashed at 140 for 40 min then added enough boiling water to bring it up to 152 for another 60 min. I hit OG 1.042 and FG 1.010. It was very tasty. You could mash low and do well at one temp or do what I did.

The malts you will likely use are very well modified so a protein rest would or should be pretty much useless. I brew a good dunkel with 97% munich, single infusion.

It really depends on the malt you're using and it's Total Protein (or Nitrogen) and Soluble Nitrogen Ratio. If you're using Briess Munich, which is 6-row, the total protein would be ~13% with a SNR of ~37, in which case I would do a rest in the mid 130s°F to break down some of that protein.

It really depends on the malt you're using and it's Total Protein (or Nitrogen) and Soluble Nitrogen Ratio. If you're using Briess Munich, which is 6-row, the total protein would be ~13% with a SNR of ~37, in which case I would do a rest in the mid 130s°F to break down some of that protein.

where'd you find that? That would be invaluable if there was a chart of all the malsters and all the data regarding the grain.

Also, I see again Breiss sells ****ty malt. Go Figure.

where'd you find that? That would be invaluable if there was a chart of all the malsters and all the data regarding the grain.

Also, I see again Breiss sells ****ty malt. Go Figure.

Yeah, I wasn't real happy about it when I unknowingly bought 7 lbs of it for an upcoming batch. This is why I typically try to stick to buying malts from the country that the beer style is from. It's on their website. The typical malt analysis pdf for munich 10L states at the bottom: "Produced from AMBA/BMBRI recommended 6-Row Malting Barley varieties"

Another funny thing about this is that I was re-reading Horst Dornbusch's "Alt" style book. He states in one section that only 2-row barley should be used for brewing Altbier... no 6-row. But then states in another section that all of the malts used in creating the recipes he gives were made by Briess. His recipes include plenty of Munich.:cross:

Back