Hey! I am a craft brewer too!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chumprock

Reaction score
After watching this:

[ame=http://vimeo.com/4298464]I Am A Craft Brewer on Vimeo[/ame]

All I could think of was that homebrewers need to make the same video.

Heck, we could read that script line for line and it'd be accurate. Who's in?! :rockin:

Update 1:
cyberbackpacker revised the script to something Homebrew centric and it sounds pretty damn good to me:

I am a craft brewer.
I am a home brewer.
I love good beer.
I am passionate about good beer.
For the past 50 years, beers in the hands of average Americans have been put there by ad men, mega-corporations, snake oil salesmen, people who promise one thing, and deliver nothing.
Only focused on how much their selling, instead of what they are selling.
But not any more.
Since 1978 home brewing has been a legal option for people who love beer in the United States.
Tell me I can’t do it.
Ask me why I don’t buy my beer like everyone else.
Call me naive.
Call me a Revolutionary.
Home brewing is innovation.
Independence.
Curiosity.
Collaboration.
Character.
And family.
Its built on the American dream.
The only way to fail as a home brewer is to quit
Home brewing has integrity, tradition, and a style all its own.
Home brewers create community, and make communities better places.
Home brewing is rooted in the earliest of civilized traditions, and crosses all borders, cultures, and distances.
Home brewing is happening from America to Australia, and is practiced throughout the world.
We are small.
We are not Micro.
We are not Nano or Pico (at least most of us).
We are a community that is supportive.
Authentic.
Local.
And diverse.
We are risk takers.
We are hard working.
We don’t chase after trends, we chase after great beer.
A little over 100 years ago there were 3000 breweries in the United States.
Around that same time, mega corporations decided to put corn in their beer.
Decided to put rice in their beer.
I don’t put corn in my beer.
I don’t put rice in my beer.
Everything I put in my beer, I choose because it enhances the flavor.
I am not afraid.
I am not afraid of brewing my beer to be more interesting, rather than less.
If you want lowest common denominator beer, that's up to you.
All beer is good, some is just better than others.
These are unprecedented times in the history of American brewing.
While the monolithic industrial brewers continue to get more monolithic, its craft brewers that have been capturing the hearts and minds of the American public.
Today America is considered by experts and beer enthusiasts everywhere as the most exciting place in the world for great beer.
American craft brewers are proud to have changed the reputation of beer in this country from lowly, too elevated.
Home brewers are proud to have inspired men and women to become craft brewers.
Many of those same craft brewers that are changing the global opinion of American beer started out brewing on their kitchen stove, or over an open flame.
There are an estimated 750,000 home brewers in the United States, and we have contributed, and are still contributing, to a momentum that cannot be stopped.
We are socially conscious, stylistically adventurous, and categorically devoted to creating great beer.
We must illuminate our strengths, keep true to our standards, and never stop in our attempts to make even better beer.
We must always hold on to our spirit of camaraderie.
We must educate and inspire those who do not understand or are unfamiliar with what we do, but want to!
We believe in quality, bold character, fun, responsibility and we believe in pushing boundaries.
We are the heart and soul of what great beer can be.
We are all craft brewers.
We are all home brewers.
We must honor and hold true to our craft.
We must honor and hold true to our integrity.
We must honor and hold true to each other.
We must spread the message.
We must share great beer.
We must share our great beer.
I’d like to raise a toast.
To beers that were home brewed!
I brewed this beer.
I brewed this beer.
I brewed this beer.
I brewed this beer.
I brewed this beer.
This is my first home brewed beer.
Me too.
To you.
To us!
On three and then cheers.
1.. 2.. 3..
CHEERS!

Update 2: Here is a list of people who are interested in submitting a video:

1. Boerderij Kabouter
2. Chumprock
3. TwoHeadsBrewing
4. cyberbackpacker
5. deepsouth
6. blue_bmw2
7. GilaMinumBeer
8. Matt Up North
9. PintOfBitter
10. RogerMcAllen
11. jamesnw
12. SkewedAle
13. tspilker
14. Ferrousity
15. Ice9
16. McKBrew
17. Sigafoos
18. Kungpaodog
19. IrregularPulse
20. olllllo
21. Hayabusa
22. Chefchris
23. Kelsch
24. Edcculus
25. Woollybugger2
26. Humann_brewing
27. Mmb
28. Joe C
29. Tripod
30. Displaced Masshole
31. Caspio
32. Homercidal

Update 3: We've created a group to organize and collaborate for this project:

HomeBrewTalk Groups - I am a craft brewer video

I am 100% for this, everyone needs to record a short clip and we can put them all together to create our own.

Best would be for everyone to film the entire script and then some creative type edits it all fancy-like.

And of course, we'd all get to toast eachother!

I saw this video yesterday and it made me really happy. Lots of San Diego in there (of course, Greg from Stone made it) and it is cool to see Ron Jefferies and Vinnie C and a bunch of other amazing brewers all in one short clip like that.

I thought it would be neat twist if we got a bunch of folks to also hoist a pint while saying where they were from. Granted, it wouldn't have that sort of production quality, but would be cool nonetheless.

I'm in for the homebrewer one. That would be a friggin blast.

I'm thinking about starting a separate thread for this...but...I want to see if we can name all of the brewers in that video. I know about half of them (partly because I've met some of them and also they were wearing brewery garb--easy to put 2 + 2 together), but their were lots I didn't know.

For example, who was the one at :09-:10 seconds? Is that the Jolly Pumpkin dude?

Let's make a list.

I'll list the ones I've met personally, but keep it going:

Dick Cantwell
Vinnie Cilurzo
Sam Calagione
Tomme Arthur

I can edit it together (that's what I do when I'm not brewing). We should get someone to rewrite the script to make it home brewer-centric, post it, and then give like a week or something for people to get their videos of the entire script in.

If we want the script to be more collaborative, I can set up a Wiki pretty quick.

Videos could be shot in front of your brewing equipment, your set up, your closet, your 3 gallon brewpot, etc...

I'm thinking about starting a separate thread for this...but...I want to see if we can name all of the brewers in that video. I know about half of them (partly because I've met some of them and also they were wearing brewery garb--easy to put 2 + 2 together), but their were lots I didn't know.

For example, who was the one at :09-:10 seconds? Is that the Jolly Pumpkin dude?

Let's make a list.

Dick Cantwell
Vinnie Cilurzo
Sam Calagione
Tomme Arthur

Greg Koch (Stone)
Ron Jeffries (Jolly Pumpkin)
Carol Stoudt (Stoudt's)
Patrick Rue (Bruery)
Adam Avery (Avery)
Fritz Maytag (Anchor Steam, cheese)
Yuseff Cherney and I thnk Mike (Ballast Point)
Chuck Silva (Green Flash)

That's up to 1:15 of people I recognize. I can let someone else play, too. :)

Cool! I'm supposed to do yardwork all day today, but let me see if I can steno their script and post it. Then we can look at how to re-write.

So yeah.. yardwork...

anyway:
I am a craft brewer.
I love craft beer.
I am passionate about craft beer.
For the past 50 years, beers in the hands of average americans have been put there by ad men, mega-corporations, snake oil salesmen, people who primise one thing, and deliver nothing.
But not any more.
Over the last sseveral years, craft brewing has been the fastest growing beer segment in the united states, and we're just getting warmed up!
Tell me I cant do it.
Tell me my beers wont sell.
Call me naieve.
Call me a Revolutionary.
Craft brewing is innovation.
Independence.
Curiousity.
Colaboration.
Character.
And family.
Its built on the american dream.
Craft brewing has integrity, tradition, and a style all its own.
Craft brewers make their community a better place.
Craft brewwing from America is spreading around the world.
We are small.
Community supportive.
Authentic.
Local.
And diverse.
We are risk takers.
we are hard working.
We dont chase after trends, we create them.
I dont put corn in my beer.
I dont put rice in my beer.
Everything I put n my beer, I choose because it enhances the flavor.
I am not afraid.
I am not afraid of brewing my beer to be more interestnig, rather than less.
If you want lowest common denominator beer, that's up to you. I wont have any part of it.
These are unprecidented times in the history of american brewing.
While the monolithic industrial brewers continue to get.. mroe monolitchic, its craft brewerrs that have been capturing the hearts and minds of the american public.
Today america is considered by experts and beer enthusiasts everywhere as the most exciting place in the world for great beer.
Amercan craft brewers are proud to have changed the reputation of beer in this country from lowly, to elevated.
Even though we make up just under 5% of the brewing industry, craft brewers have created a momentum that cannot be stopped.
We are socially conscious, stylisticly adventurous, and categorically devoted to creating great craft beer.
We must illumunate our strengths, keep true to our standards.
Educate those who seek to understand what we have created.
We must draw hard lines.
We must expose those who seek to capiutalize on what we have created.
We must not chase after those who do not understand or care about what we do.
We belive in quality, bold character, fun, responsibility and we belive in pushing boundaries.
We are the heart and soul of the beer industry.
we are all craft brewers.
we must honor and hold true to our craft
We must honor and hold true to eachother.
Id like to raise a toast. to beers that were collaboratively brewed.
I helped brew one of these beers.
I totally helped brew one of these beers.
So did I.
Me too.
To you.
To us!
1.. 2.. 3..
CHEERS!

Any English majors or speech writers that could transform that into a homebrewer speech? :ban:

hell I think we should leave it just the same word for word...... I bet they would get a seriouse kick out of us doing a project like that

That being said I am in!!!!

Edit: we will need to be brewing a collaboration beer too or atleast drinking it.... though I think video while we was actually brewing it would be great, Cuts of each of us infront of our basic to elaborate equipmen, Kinda showing it doesnt matter how basic or how sick our breweries are we are ALL doing the same thing,,,, as thats also the message going on in the viideo...

I am gamed. That video was awesome!!!:rockin: Almost brought a tear to my eye. I love the idea of doing a homebrew video. :mug:

Count me in. I have done some film editing work I will be down to do it after my finals are over! This will most likely take a long time since there are a lot of people and getting a lot of people to film anything takes considerable time.

I'm in. I'd also vote for rewriting the script at least partially. It would be cool to put up a similar video, but not just a ripoff of the same thing - that would seem more like a joke than a serious response.

Let's make a list.

Dick Cantwell
Vinnie Cilurzo
Sam Calagione
Tomme Arthur

Sean Wilson (Fullsteam)
He's at :27 with all the fermenters in the horizontal position in the background.

Whoever edits this thing is going to look like a total amateur, considering the wide array of raw footage quality they'll be working with. Just sayin'. Someone will send nice 1080p with great three point lighting and a nice shotgun mic, someone else will send a cell phone vid.

Whoever edits this thing is going to look like a total amateur, considering the wide array of raw footage quality they'll be working with. Just sayin'. Someone will send nice 1080p with great three point lighting and a nice shotgun mic, someone else will send a cell phone vid.

My thoughts exactly. Dealing with raw footage from multiple sources is never fun. It can still work though. YouTube does these kinds of compilations all of the time.

I think setting a submitting deadline on the project ultimately would be good to keep people from continuously submitting stuff while the video is being made.

if anyone else likes the idea of a custom HBT script, here's a start:

I welcome challenge.
I enjoy experimentation.
I can't wait to try something new.
I live for the chance to create.

I know what beer really tastes like.
do you?
I am a homebrewer.
I am a homebrewer. (other clips of people repeating the same line ad nauseum...)

Homebrewing is taking grains
and making art
homebrewing is sharing knowledge
and enjoying a pint with new friends

I brew (insert descriptor, i.e. "I brew bold", "I brew funky!")
I brew what I like.

...add more, possibly about the differing "breweries" we all have, why people brew, etc...

Just a boilerplate to get ideas flowing.

Hmm, well we are all homebrewers, and I think it actually would add to the videos raw charm. Have you seen some of the rigs people put together around here? :D

Anyhow I was thinking the OP mentioned this as a fun project, not really a "omg we gotta be Spielberg" situation.

Hmm, well we are all homebrewers, and I think it actually would add to the videos raw charm. Have you seen some of the rigs people put together around here? :D

Anyhow I was thinking the OP mentioned this as a fun project, not really a "omg we gotta be Spielberg" situation.

Agreed, I'm just sayin' that whoever volunteers should realize what they'll be working with. Adding some humor will help it look more like a fun community project and less like a FAIL.

I'm definitely all for it.

if anyone else likes the idea of a custom HBT script, here's a start:

I welcome challenge.
I enjoy experimentation.
I can't wait to try something new.
I live for the chance to create.

I know what beer really tastes like.
do you?
I am a homebrewer.
I am a homebrewer. (other clips of people repeating the same line ad nauseum...)

Homebrewing is taking grains
and making art
homebrewing is sharing knowledge
and enjoying a pint with new friends

I brew (insert descriptor, i.e. "I brew bold", "I brew funky!")
I brew what I like.

...add more, possibly about the differing "breweries" we all have, why people brew, etc...

Just a boilerplate to get ideas flowing.

i like what you have there. nice points and well made.

Maybe put some mild references to homebrewing in-jokes. Any clever thoughts?

I speak in acronyms, then you could have different people saying and holding up that type of beer or product. Ex. IPA! holding an IPA, ESB! holding an ESB, AG someone holding 2 handfuls of grain, ect ect.

I brew when my SWMBO allows me.
I love extra hands.
Even hands that are not old enough to write complete sentences.

I enjoy sanitization
I let my dog clean my messes.
etc,
etc.

LOL... that's awesome.

SWMBO is asking why I'm laughing and not getting ready for work.

I am a craft brewer.
I am a home brewer.
I love good beer.
I am passionate about good beer.
For the past 50 years, beers in the hands of average Americans have been put there by ad men, mega-corporations, snake oil salesmen, people who promise one thing, and deliver nothing.
But not any more.
Since 1978 home brewing has been a legal option for people who love beer in the United States.
Tell me I can’t do it.
Ask me why I don’t buy my beer like everyone else.
Call me naive.
Call me a Revolutionary.
Home brewing is innovation.
Independence.
Curiosity.
Collaboration.
Character.
And family.
Its built on the American dream.
The only way to fail as a home brewer is to quit
Home brewing has integrity, tradition, and a style all its own.
Home brewers create community, and make communities better places.
Home brewing is rooted in the earliest of civilized traditions, and crosses all borders, cultures, and distances.
Home brewing is happening from America to Australia, and is practiced throughout the world.
We are small.
We are not Micro.
We are not Nano or Pico (at least most of us).
We are a community that is supportive.
Authentic.
Local.
And diverse.
We are risk takers.
We are hard working.
We don’t chase after trends, we chase after great beer.
I don’t put corn in my beer.
I don’t put rice in my beer.
Everything I put in my beer, I choose because it enhances the flavor.
I am not afraid.
I am not afraid of brewing my beer to be more interesting, rather than less.
If you want lowest common denominator beer, that's up to you.
All beer is good, some is just better than others.
These are unprecedented times in the history of American brewing.
While the monolithic industrial brewers continue to get more monolithic, its craft brewers that have been capturing the hearts and minds of the American public.
Today America is considered by experts and beer enthusiasts everywhere as the most exciting place in the world for great beer.
American craft brewers are proud to have changed the reputation of beer in this country from lowly, too elevated.
Home brewers are proud to have inspired men and women to become craft brewers.
Many of those same craft brewers that are changing the global opinion of American beer started out brewing on their kitchen stove, or over an open flame.
There are an estimated 750,000 home brewers in the United States, and we have contributed, and are still contributing, to a momentum that cannot be stopped.
We are socially conscious, stylistically adventurous, and categorically devoted to creating great beer.
We must illuminate our strengths, keep true to our standards, and never stop in our attempts to make even better beer.
We must always hold on to our spirit of camaraderie.
We must educate and inspire those who do not understand or are unfamiliar with what we do, but want to!
We believe in quality, bold character, fun, responsibility and we believe in pushing boundaries.
We are the heart and soul of what great beer can be.
We are all craft brewers.
We are all home brewers.
We must honor and hold true to our craft.
We must honor and hold true to each other.
We must share great beer.
We must share our great beer.
I’d like to raise a toast.
To beers that were home brewed!
I brewed this beer.
I brewed this beer.
I brewed this beer.
I brewed this beer.
I brewed this beer.
This is my first home brewed beer.
Me too.
To you.
To us!
1.. 2.. 3..
CHEERS!

Here is my quick attempt- it could still be edited more but I am still happy with it; I tried to stay true to the original spirit of the Craft Brewer script.

I think this direction mimics the intent of the original, illuminates who WE are, yet does not deteriorate into a HBT/bbs credo or filled with unneeded innuendo or lingo that many might not "get". After all, what unites us is great beer, not post counts, number of gallons brewed, AG, extract, etc. Great beer.

Just my opinion and take on this project.

Prost!

While the earlier post was much more humorous, I think the one above really hits the nail on the head.

Now we just need a standard screenplay or (at least) a specific set of shots made by everyone who contributes so the editor can be creative. Things like; Posing with your rig, posing with your beer, posing with your kegerator, shots of active brewing, and of course, reading the script.

Then the editor can make a lot of montage-like shots and mix us all together. Personally, I think us all having different qualities of production value goes along with how varied all our styles of brewing are. from penny-cheap buckets to a fully-automated Brutus.

cyberbackpacker's script for the win!

If we use that script I am totally in.

I think they used about 30 brewers, so we should have at least that many. Let's start a committed list.

cyberbackpacker script list

1. Boerderij Kabouter

I'll add a list to the OP....

Please sign-up here and we'll hash out the more formal stuff as it comes around.
We'll probably want to set a hard deadline for submissions too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back