Sparkling Cinnamon Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke_d

Reaction score
image-3970909268.jpg

Two months in primary, two months bottle conditioning, and this stuff is smooth and delicious!

Don't just tease us with an awesome pic - share the recipe... please?!!!

Good job!

A for the recipe, it was a one gallon batch, my first cider. I used one gallon of fresh apple cider from Trader Joe's, and added about a tablespoon of cinnamon, and let it ferment. For yeast, I just used a leftover packet of yeast from my Brooklyn Brew Shop kit. Next time, I may add cinnamon and maybe some nutmeg, at bottling. Has anyone done that? I feel like having the cinnamon in during fermentation gave it some strange flavors early on (they've mostly mellowed out by now). And then carbed with corn sugar, just like a beer.

I just added my cinnamon now that its done and just aging wasn't to sure how it would ferment with it so i waited but now it tastes FANTASTIC!

Oh! Yes I actually did add sugar when I fermented in the primary! It was about 4 or 5 months ago, and I didn't take any notes, and it was before I had a hydrometer. However, I think I added about one or two cups of brown sugar.

Thanks.

I've used white cane and raw cane. Gonna try brown next. So far I've only used brown to prime.

Cool! If you're going to use cinnamon, I'd recommend adding it post fermentation. I have a slight of flavor that I think is due to the cinnamon in the primary.

A for the recipe, it was a one gallon batch, my first cider. I used one gallon of fresh apple cider from Trader Joe's, and added about a tablespoon of cinnamon, and let it ferment. For yeast, I just used a leftover packet of yeast from my Brooklyn Brew Shop kit. Next time, I may add cinnamon and maybe some nutmeg, at bottling. Has anyone done that? I feel like having the cinnamon in during fermentation gave it some strange flavors early on (they've mostly mellowed out by now). And then carbed with corn sugar, just like a beer.

Yup, check the thread: Spiced Cider, a little piece of home

I am drinking this now and am really pleased with how nice the cinnamon and nutmeg came together.

So you added cinnamon and nutmeg after fermentation? So did you let it sit in secondary with that? Or did you do it at bottling? Are you pretty happy with it? I imagine you would bypass any chance of off flavors if you add it post fermentation.

I put two sticks of cinnamon in the 5 gal. secondary. Barely any flavor in the bottled cider. I've heard it can be over powering. How much nutmeg or vanilla is recommended?

So you added cinnamon and nutmeg after fermentation? So did you let it sit in secondary with that? Or did you do it at bottling? Are you pretty happy with it? I imagine you would bypass any chance of off flavors if you add it post fermentation.

I added it to the secondary and let it sit. I feel like my flavors came out very well. You have more control if you add during secondary.

I used a pound and a half of dextros (Corn sugar) gave a very good taste

Did you guys/gals carbonate it? Or leave it still? At this point I know that next time I'm going to add cinnamon and/or nutmeg at bottling, but will bottle conditioning create any off flavors with those spices?

I've only done one spiced batch, but I love the way the spices mix into the apple flavor. I think if I had gone much heavier, it could easily turn into 'cinnamon water'.

The batch was done still.

It really does bring out tge flavors eh spiced is the way to go

I did a search for this because I just added cinnamon to my first cider/mead batch. I had a half gallon extra experimental fermenter that I added some cinnamon and bottled without priming. I did that sunday 2/24 and it got a light cinnamon flavor which i liked but its missing something (carbonation).
Today I brewed some cinnamon in a coffee cup and boiled it with a little honey to "prime" in my fermenter before bottling it this weekend, I may add a touch of vanilla when I do. I liked having the cinnamon over not having it but I haven't let the brew sit and would like to have it carb'd.

Recipe;
5 gallons 100% apple juice
4 lbs wildflower honey
Nottingham yeast
wait 3 weeks
1.072 og
1.007 last checked gravity

1 tbsp of cinnamon brewed in keurig to make 1 cup of water and boil with 1 cup of honey. I'll let yall know this weekend when I bottle and after a week of bottle aging.

Do yall do wine bottles or beer? I plan on having medium carbonation.

Sounds so good take some pictures for us man i used wine bottles for my cider as they were bigger but i dont think it will matter

WilliamSlayer said:
My most recent cider. Spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and orange peel.

That looks tasty. I like the orange peel idea. Doing a mango gal. for the wife right now.

Do you use the entire peel, including the white inner surface? Or did you use one of those fancy orange shavers to get just the orange colored portion? I ask because the white part tends to be a little bitter when you use it I cook with.

Do you use the entire peel, including the white inner surface? Or did you use one of those fancy orange shavers to get just the orange colored portion? I ask because the white part tends to be a little bitter when you use it I cook with.

I used all of the 'rind'. And yes you're right that it can be bitter! I was going for a bit of this, as I wanted something to add another element. Bitter IMO is different from tart (acid), and the orange was supposed to add a slight citrus element as well.

WilliamSlayer said:
With juice or pulp? Been afraid to use mangos as they are so pulpy. Bet they give great flavor though...

I used a chopper and the pieces are about the size of peas. I have just finished a batch with raspberries and turned out great but racked it 3
Times to clear. These fruity drinks, are for my wife, kind of a bribe to have all these carboys in the spare room burping away. I have 5 gal. of
Great hard cider ready to bottle, the juice was pasteurized that I used and I'm a clean freak with my equip. And am researching if I should
Pasteurize before bottling ? Any thoughts Thx

Always important to have something for your wife. Makes her forget about the fact that you have tons and tons of stuff fermenting an stuff. Thank goodness for amazing wive who put up with us!!

Also, how did the raspberry come through on that?

I used a chopper and the pieces are about the size of peas. I have just finished a batch with raspberries and turned out great but racked it 3
Times to clear. These fruity drinks, are for my wife, kind of a bribe to have all these carboys in the spare room burping away. I have 5 gal. of
Great hard cider ready to bottle, the juice was pasteurized that I used and I'm a clean freak with my equip. And am researching if I should
Pasteurize before bottling ? Any thoughts Thx

No need to pasturize unless you plan to backsweeten. For backsweetening you have to find someway of not getting the sugars to ferment, so Pasturizing is ONE way.

WilliamSlayer said:
No need to pasturize unless you plan to backsweeten. For backsweetening you have to find someway of not getting the sugars to ferment, so Pasturizing is ONE way.

Thank you William , not that I mind one more step I've read it lowers the abv and might change the taste. I've done a few gallon batches which have turned out great but were consumed rather quickly. This is my first 5er and I wanted to bottle and leave for a couple months with an occasional sampling along the way to taste the progression
Thanks

Great idea. :)

If you do decide to back sweeten, do a search for 'Suss Reserve' (the German word for backsweetening). I've written up my technique a few times for a few threads.

Enjoy the cider!

Latest posts

Back