Force Carbon PLANT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Florentius

Reaction score
Hi,

Im new here and would like to make you a question.

Im a german and I run a small brewery in Quito/Ecuador. Now, my biggest problem is a proper carbonisation. Up until now we forced carbonization. We just connect the keg to the Co2, give him like 30 PSI and shake it more or less a minute. It works fine. But, the problem is, that it is very hard when you have to do that 10 times per day and its not so exactly neither.

So, I rember that I spoke to an american brewer something like one year ago and he told me that he had a Force-carbonization-PLANT. He said he had a small machine which grabs the keg and then shakes it! It would be posible to program that machine as well, like for example always one minute that movement or 45 seconds that movement - to repeat the results!!! Because if a human it does by his hands, its difficult to repeat always the same result.

So my question is: maybe one of you could say me where to but such a force-carbon-plant?

Becuase in Germany and of their purity law, they wont sell a machine like this....but maybe in de USA?

Or maybe anybody knows a forum just for microbrewers and not for homebrewers....maybe in a forum just for microbrewers anybody knows where to buy such a machine.

Thanks a lot!

Greetings from Ecuador.

Florian

Hi I have meet a brewer in Nz the made one out off a old washing machine. The agitation motion seems to work for him

Cheers

You might be able to rig one up using a modified paint can shaker!

ive only heard of this type of machine once before, and it was custom made i believe. someone at a home brew shop in the US said they used one.

still- this method of carbonating is inferrior and erratic and i will never endorse it. especially for a commercial product. put it on gas and let temperature and pressure work. if you need faster, use a carbonation stone.

audger said:
still- this method of carbonating is inferrior and erratic and i will never endorse it. especially for a commercial product. put it on gas and let temperature and pressure work. if you need faster, use a carbonation stone.

I agree 100%. Although I haven't started kegging yet, all my research has shown that the best and sure-fire way to get consistent carbonation is to use a set-it and forget-it method. Set your pressure to 8-12psi depending on style/preference and let it sit at serving temps for 2-3 weeks.
A lot of people use a carbonating stone to get very consistent carbonation by starting at zero psi and turning it up 1 psi per hour until you reach serving pressures, again the beer must be at proper temps to accomplish the best results.

Hello my friends,

thanks for you help.

And wht do you think that forcing carbonization withing some few minutes wont be thaty effective? Because of the distribution of the Co2?

As german, normaly I buy all things in Germany, but as I told you.....because of the German Purity Law carbonizacion is a little bity difficult in Germany, so now I have to find another way in the USA.

Maybe one of you could tell me where to buy in the USA Carbonization Stones in the USA for Micro Breweries?! I have 8 pressure tanks each with a volume of 600 liters. As well I would need the accessories to fill up in kegs with pression! So I would need the appropiate manometers for the keg and for the tanks and of course the appropiate tap for the keg (to give the keg - bevor filling it - the same pressure as it has the tank!)! So I would need the complete accessories to fill kegs WITH PRESSURE!

As well it would be fantastic if some had a draft or a draw of a Stainless Steal Tank with a carbonization stone. Because at the moment my tanks arent prepared for a carbonozation stone and it would be necesary to modify them, to weld them the appropiate things! I have an idea how to do it....but it would be better to have more information about the necesary constuction.

Thank you so much!

Florian

A carbonation stone attaches to a hose, which attaches to the CO2 inlet on the vessel your carbonating in. Basically just put a length of hose onto your CO2 inlet long enough to reach the bottom of the tank, and attach the stone to the hose.

A carbonation stone attaches to a hose, which attaches to the CO2 inlet on the vessel your carbonating in. Basically just put a length of hose onto your CO2 inlet long enough to reach the bottom of the tank, and attach the stone to the hose.

OK, that sounds simple :)

And where could I buy some good and big one? In Germany we dont have them....

Florentius said:
OK, that sounds simple :)

And where could I buy some good and big one? In Germany we dont have them....

I'm not sure if there are different sizes, but try brewmasterswarehouse.com. That where I buy most of my equipment.

I preasure my keg to 20 to 25 lb at 34 degrees and after 5 days I cehck the co2 with a tool for it and it gives me a 1.8 reading the goal is 2.3 how long does it take toi carb. without the shaking approach

Chuck P

Force carbonating doesn't have to involve a piece of hose, which I would personally avoid as a contamination risk. If your tanks use tri-clover fittings, you can purchase a one-piece carb stone (usually a 6 - 12" rod) which can be fitted into one of the tank ports, for instance where you might otherwise place a samplecock.

Ours is threaded to receive a ball valve with a gas quick-connect.

Our carb method is also a little different. With the beer at serving temp, we run CO2 through the stone regulated to about 18psi. We let a little gas leak from to headspace to keep head pressure at 15psi, and run if for about 1.5 hrs depending on the recipe.

We have a device for verifying the carbonation level afterwards, but the results are pretty consistent.

Back