New Product! Cool Brewing Fermentation Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone know the dimensions of a 10 gallon igloo cooler off the top of their head? Wondering if I could use this as extra insulation for the mash...

Got my shipping confirmation today! Can't wait to check it out and get the first batch in it.

anyone know the dimensions of a 10 gallon igloo cooler off the top of their head? Wondering if I could use this as extra insulation for the mash...

Hi,

Please see the link below, if your cooler is this style then according to this supplier the dimensions are 23 1/4" (h) x 17 1/4 (d). Our fermentation coolers are 26.5" (h) x 21.5" (d) so this specific cooler would fit no problem! :mug:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1631/Breakroom-Supplies/Igloo-10-Gallon-Water-Cooler

It was nice meeting you today! Im excited to give the bag to my husband. Im sure he will love it. Good luck with your business!

I just received mine! This thing is big, durable, and well built. I can't find a loose thread or any poor stitching. I can't wait to throw some beer in this and finally have some temp control.

Thanks Cool-Brewing!

H-ost said:
I just received mine! This thing is big, durable, and well built. I can't find a loose thread or any poor stitching. I can't wait to throw some beer in this and finally have some temp control.

Thanks Cool-Brewing!

Let us know how it works.

I definitely will. I have a temp probe on the way that will plug into my laptop and log any fluctuations. So as soon as I get that I will be seeing how this does in different rooms of my house.

I definitely will. I have a temp probe on the way that will plug into my laptop and log any fluctuations. So as soon as I get that I will be seeing how this does in different rooms of my house.

Thank you for the Feedback! Glad you like it! I am Looking forward to see the results from your testing!

I brewed a blonde ale yesterday and put it in the cool brewing. And the air temp inside is down to 60 degrees. I dont have a temp on my bucket but it feels pretty cool to touch. Im assuming less then 70. Im happy with the product. Seems like its working great.

I also found that the top seemed to be pushing down on the airlock but i just used my racking cane to keep it off of it which seemed to be the perfect size.

I brewed a blonde ale yesterday and put it in the cool brewing. And the air temp inside is down to 60 degrees. I dont have a temp on my bucket but it feels pretty cool to touch. Im assuming less then 70. Im happy with the product. Seems like its working great.

Thank you for the feedback! I am glad it's working well for you!

Cheers!

Quick review based on first use. I have a Northern Brewer Rye PA fermenting in a better bottle inside the Cool Brewing fermenting cooler. The cooler is considerably wider than I expected, which is okay because it allows for me to put a one gallon milk jug for my blowoff container and two 1-liter frozen water bottles in there as well and still have plenty of room. Probably could fit 2-3 more frozen water bottles. I like that the thing is soft sided as it will be easy to pack away in the closet, but it's a little annoying in that the sides kind of collapse if it's not completely full of things. Not a huge deal, just looks odd.

Performance wise, during primary fermentation with US-05, using 2 frozen 1-liter bottles (offset from each other 12 hrs though if that makes sense), it kept it at 64-66 deg with an ambient temp of 70 deg. Now that primary fermentation has slowed it appears to be keeping it at 60-62 deg with an ambient temp of 70 deg still. Will be interesting to see the difference on a beer with a crazy fermentation like a tripel with 3787 that I did.

Quick review based on first use. I have a Northern Brewer Rye PA fermenting in a better bottle inside the Cool Brewing fermenting cooler. The cooler is considerably wider than I expected, which is okay because it allows for me to put a one gallon milk jug for my blowoff container and two 1-liter frozen water bottles in there as well and still have plenty of room. Probably could fit 2-3 more frozen water bottles. I like that the thing is soft sided as it will be easy to pack away in the closet, but it's a little annoying in that the sides kind of collapse if it's not completely full of things. Not a huge deal, just looks odd.

Performance wise, during primary fermentation with US-05, using 2 frozen 1-liter bottles (offset from each other 12 hrs though if that makes sense), it kept it at 64-66 deg with an ambient temp of 70 deg. Now that primary fermentation has slowed it appears to be keeping it at 60-62 deg with an ambient temp of 70 deg still. Will be interesting to see the difference on a beer with a crazy fermentation like a tripel with 3787 that I did.

Thank you for the thorough feedback!

My Cool Brewing is working great! I have a Brewers Best American Pale Ale in it now. I am using 2 frozen 2-liter bottles and it’s keeping my wort pretty consistent at around 62-64 degrees with an outside temp around 78 degrees. I am only needing to change out the frozen bottles about every 1-2 days.
Another positive is my GF is no longer complaning about taking over the bathtub in our condo with a swamp cooler! I just have this in the closet. Also I like how it folds down when I’m not using. Overall I am very happy with it!

Securitized said:
My Cool Brewing is working great! I have a Brewers Best American Pale Ale in it now. I am using 2 frozen 2-liter bottles and it’s keeping my wort pretty consistent at around 62-64 degrees with an outside temp around 78 degrees. I am only needing to change out the frozen bottles about every 1-2 days.
Another positive is my GF is no longer complaning about taking over the bathtub in our condo with a swamp cooler! I just have this in the closet. Also I like how it folds down when I’m not using. Overall I am very happy with it!

Perfect. This is what I am hoping for. Mine arrived yesterday.

Damn it. I gave in and ordered one :)

I figured that if I could buy a beerbuckle for my brother in law, I could at least get one of these for myself. This is at least useful; I can now make light beer in the summer :)

Just got mine this afternoon. It looks like it is big enough to hold three 3 gallon carboys for those who like to do small batches. The cooler does collapse down, but that can be remedied with one of those airflow mesh pop up hampers that can be found at Bed Bath & Beyond for ~$7.

Looking forward to trying this out soon!

Couple of questions:

Have you guys done any testing to see exactly how low you can get the temperatures? I'm wondering if some water and a bunch of frozen bottles could get a carboy down into cold crash range in a 60-62 degree basement.

Also, in the other direction, I'm assuming this will hold up well with heat. I'm thinking this would work well with a ferm-wrap or heating pad to really crank up the heat on a saison.

Couple of questions:

Have you guys done any testing to see exactly how low you can get the temperatures? I'm wondering if some water and a bunch of frozen bottles could get a carboy down into cold crash range in a 60-62 degree basement.

Also, in the other direction, I'm assuming this will hold up well with heat. I'm thinking this would work well with a ferm-wrap or heating pad to really crank up the heat on a saison.

Hi, Good questions!

1.) You should be able to easily cold crash in a 62 degree basement. This would require about a 20-25 degree drop from the ambient temperature.

Please see these testing results in a 80-85 degree room. There was no problem keeping temps 20-25 degrees colder than the ambient temp.

This was a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon plastic fermenter. This batch had 2x 2 liters and 2x to 4x 20oz changed every 24 hours. The wort was a little too chilled to begin with so ice was not added until 48 hours on Saturday

2.) We will work on testing with Fermwrap and heating pads and report back!

Cool Brew Testing March 2012.jpg

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear the GF is happy and your temps are staying cool!

Cheers,
:mug:

I am very interested Has anyone tried to use one of those Curtec 15 gallon fermenters in this thing?

They are about 20.5x16.5 inches (HxD)

Just put in my order! Can't wait to get the large vessels of water (swamp coolers) out of the utility room...SWMBO is going to be happy happy happy!

just an update. i brewed a belgian wit yesterday and decided to put it in my carboy that has a thermo strip on it. the ground water is at 79 degrees as i live in houston. put the carboy in the cool brewing and it got the temp down to 72 in 8 hrs. then checked it this morning and it was down to 64 less then 24 hrs after pitching. very happy with this item and its affordability. great job guys.

cool brewing.jpg

cool b 2.jpg

zmurda said:
just an update. i brewed a belgian wit yesterday and decided to put it in my carboy that has a thermo strip on it. the ground water is at 79 degrees as i live in houston. put the carboy in the cool brewing and it got the temp down to 72 in 8 hrs. then checked it this morning and it was down to 64 less then 24 hrs after pitching. very happy with this item and its affordability. great job guys.

Sounds great! How many and what size frozen bottles are you using to chill? Also, how often do you swap them out?

im using 1 liter bottles. i start with 3 just to get the temp down fast then i switch to 2. i usually swamp them every 12 hours. the cooler works great and it doesnt take up that much more space. i recommend it. also i dont own a home or have alot of tools to build a chamber so this is the perfect option.

zmurda said:
im using 1 liter bottles. i start with 3 just to get the temp down fast then i switch to 2. i usually swamp them every 12 hours. the cooler works great and it doesnt take up that much more space. i recommend it. also i dont own a home or have alot of tools to build a chamber so this is the perfect option.

Thanks Zmurda! It's great to have info from different situations and temps. These things are a winner!

Just ordered one, wish I saw this last week to take advantage of the free shipping though. I live in Florida and this should be a win win for me and my better half. If I don't have to use the swamp cooler and she doesn't have to see one any more that is good news. Will use it with my next batch and see how it performs. I like what I see with the numbers posted and reviews so far.

Thanks for the detailed feedback! Were glad it’s working well for you!

:mug:

I used mine yesterday but it didn't seem to get cold enough to lower the fermentation so I sat it in a swamp cooler with lots of ice water to bring the temps down to about 70 overnight. Then tonite, I put it in the Cool Brewer and will see what happens overnight.
I sure hope this works as I'm leaving town for 2 days this weekend and won't be able to swap out any frozen bottles. I hope to get it cool enough that when I leave, the extra frozen jugs I put in will stay cool enough for the weekend.

When I've used plastic softdrink bottles, they crack in the freezer even if I only fill them up 3/4 of the way. How do you keep them from splitting?

Beer-lord said:
When I've used plastic softdrink bottles, they crack in the freezer even if I only fill them up 3/4 of the way. How do you keep them from splitting?

I've never tried it, but I'd recommend freezing them standing up with the lid removed so no air pressure gets in the way of the water expanding as it freezes.

I overdid the freee packs last night. I put about 5 small ones in. This morning, the air temp inside the closed bag was 59! and my house temp is 78. I figure the temp inside the fermenter is about 68. Once it adjusts for a day, I'll just use 2.
So far, I'm happy.

Back