DME vs LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geltzeiler

Reaction score
People keep telling me that dried malt extract and liquid malt extract are the same (when not hopped), does everyone agree with this? I mean the additional volume in the liquid alone must have some affect, right?

Most people that use it in a brew are doing partial boils, so it doesn't matter. The different color extracts should be the same between liquid and dry, for what you get for flavors. You'll get more gravity points per pound from dry.

Personally, I only use DME (the only extract I'll buy) for making yeast starters. :rockin:

I use DME for starters.
When I was extract brewing I liked DME because it was easy to store well.

Some don't like DME due to how reacts when you get it near steam (from the hot water). In the amounts I use, it's a non-issue. When I used it in brews (all that time back) I didn't let it get to me. Granted, I used DME in all of four batches. :ban:

LME can be a pain to work with, unless you warm it up before hand. It's a thick syrup otherwise.

For my starters, I get the very lightest DME I can find/buy. I also tend to get it in 3# bags since it's more cost effective that way. I simply store it in a clear, sealed, container (with a clamping lid and gasket). That way, I'll see how much I have left and not need to worry about running out.

I just decided 30 minutes ago that this is the last brew I make with LME. It darkens as it ages, takes forever to pour, is much more perishable, and loves to scorch the bottom of my kettle no matter how much I stir and even if I turn off the heat.

I'm going to work with DME from now on. Add it before the boil because it gets all weird with steam and crystallizes.

That depends on how you buy your LME. At my LHBS, a pound of DME will run you about $6. A pound of LME from the bulk container costs less than $3. So LME can be far less expensive, even if you account for the fact that you use more in five gallons of beer. Of course you don't know how old that LME is, but on a cost basis, LME is the better deal

I was going off a 3# bag of DME and 3.3# can of LME... Going from a huge bulk container to single pound container is not a like comparison. It's like comparing getting grain from the LHBS in a 1# bag compared with the per pound pricing you see when buying a full sack as part of a group grain buy. Turns out, you actually need 1.26x LME to get the same gravity numbers from LME.

BTW, I went off prices from Rebel Brewer, where a 3.3# can of LME is $11.95 and a pound of DME is $3.69/#. That means the LME is #3.62/#. With the higher amount of LME needed, you'll end up spending more to get the same gravity addition to a batch.

BTW, I know LHBS' will offer different extracts, and grains, at different prices. If they don't purchase enough of one, or the other, the costs will be higher for you. Still, with the per pound pricing from Rebel being withing 7 cents of each other it makes you rethink things.

Yeah I can get 3.3lbs of LME for $8.50 at best, or 1lb of DME for $6.50...for myself LME makes the most sense if I was to purchase it for creating a beer. But it's a PITA for making starters with due to having to save it and stuff, way more trouble to keep sanitary, can't just throw it on a shelf.

If you have a LHBS that has LME in bulk, and dispenses it fresh with nitrogen when you buy it, then it's affordable and not bad to use.

"Old" LME, the canned stuff, can be dark and stale with a "canned" taste when you buy it, so unless you know how long it's been sitting around, don't use it!

For conversion, think of these as equal-

1 pound grain = .75 pound LME = .6 pound DME

So, 10 pounds two row = 7.5 pounds LME = 6 pounds light DME.

Just looked at other DME Rebel has... $3.49/#, so even cheaper to use...

For comparison.
10# 2 row (domestic): $13.90
7.5# LME: $27.15
6# DME: $20.94

So, on a level playing field, you can see what costs most...

When I said that my LHBS sells bulk LME for $2.69 a pound, I meant that you can actually buy a pound of LME from a bulk container for $2.69- you don't have to buy all 50 lbs. So the same beer would cost me $20.18 if I used LME, and I wouldn't have to pay shipping. You can get a similar price per pound from Austin Homebrew if your LHBS doesn't offer bulk LME. It really comes down to how you want to buy. If all that matters is price, buying DME from Rebel or LME from Austin probably makes the cost a wash. If you have a LHBS that you are loyal to, you will have to do your own calculations.

Sorry I should have stated that I was basing my comment off of my LHBS. There's it's on nitrogen and a pount of LME is 2 bucks, a pount of DME is 4 bucks. I believe that LME contribute 36PPM per gal and DME is 45PPM per gal so economically it doesn't match up. However, I like DME because it doesn't take up as much volume as LME and doesn't go bad as fast.

Since I'm only using extract to make starters, it's a non-issue for me. A 3# bag lasts many batches. With how long it takes me to go through the 3# bag, LME isn't an option (even if it was a consideration).

Just looked at other DME Rebel has... $3.49/#, so even cheaper to use...

For comparison.
10# 2 row (domestic): $13.90
7.5# LME: $27.15
6# DME: $20.94

So, on a level playing field, you can see what costs most...

Holy crap is that some overpriced LME. Northern Brewer and Midwest sell LME way cheaper than that.

Personally I would use both LME and DME. The only real drawbacks of LME are it goes bad faster and is very difficult to measure and weigh out. DME costs about $3-5 more a batch with 5lb DME vs 6lb LME.(provided you are not buying bulk DME) Most recipes I make use 6lb LME as a base and DME to get to the desired gravity. I use DME for starters as well. A gallon ice cream bucket filled with hot water is all you need to make the LME easier to pour.

NB is the best way to go for extract. I was paying $4.75/lb of DME at my LHBS in Idaho. Moved to FL a few months ago and from the looks of it I'm not going to save much money brewing vs. buying beer at the store.

I really prefer DME because of storage and easier to deal with.

Back