Convert Plain Malt to Extra Light Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackZX3

Reaction score
Most of my recipes call for Muntons Extra-light Malt Extract. However, I have Muntons Plain Malt Extract. Is there a conversion factor so that I end up with a similair gravity/SRM? The recipe I want to use calls for 6lbs of Extra Light Malt Extract. I am interested in making a German Helles Beer. Currently, I have an octoberfest in the fermentor, I was planning on brewing the helles, transferring the oktoberfest into secondary, then putting the helles on top of the Bohemian Lager Trub at the botom of the fermentor. Am I close?:tank:

You could use the same amount of pale extract as you would have if it were extra pale. Your gravity should be right on, but the beer may be a touch darker.

Alternatively, there should be a way to use some pale extract, and some corn sugar to keep the color in line too. I dont have ProMash here, but some one with the program could figure this out.

I would use the extract that you have, and not worry too much about the color.

- magno

EDIT: It sounds like your plan to pitch the new wort on the old cake is spot on.

My 2 cents: There is always going to be a "next" brew...use the plain in a future brew and grab the xtra light for your current recipe if you want to keep your color. If color is not that much an issue, use it.

The different varieties of Muntons just refers to color and if memory serves there is not a huge difference between the extra light and the pale. Unless you are trying to brew to style or really hate having a darker beer, I wouldn't worry about using it.

Back