Starting out suggestions on what to make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejuggla1

Reaction score
I'm looking to make alcohol but I am not sure what I should start out with?

First question is should I start with wine or beer? What is easier for beginners?

What equipment do I need for beer or wine? Are they similar? Can some parts be used for both? And where do I purchase said equipment? Where could I buy bottles from?

What kinda of room do I need to 'produce' Wine/beer in? Can it be a room with minor activity? Or should it be a room that is only used when needed?

I see wine kits in stores, are these ok to use? Or should I start from scratch?

First question is should I start with wine or beer? What is easier for beginners?

-thats kind of a tricky question. IMO, beer. There are a lot more steps on brew day, but beer has much more of an instant gratification factor than wine.

My second would be about Moonshine, from what I've learned it is basically the same as beer you just don't use malt. I didn't see any info so I am not sure if it is 'allowed' to be discussed if it isn't tell me and I will edit(Or admin if they get to it first)

-Moonshine would be a distilled. Its illegal here in the US, and probably Canada too. Since this is a US based site, we don't discuss those things here.

What equipment do I need for beer or wine? Are they similar? Can some parts be used for both? And where do I purchase said equipment? Where could I buy bottles from?

-Search around for threads on equipment. Yes, a lot of equipment can be used for both. Buckets, carboys, racking canes, hydrometers and much more. For beer, you will need a boil pot.

What kinda of room do I need to 'produce' Wine/beer in? Can it be a room with minor activity? Or should it be a room that is only used when needed?

-preferably a room where the temp is below 70F (at least for beer). Out of the way is always good.

I see wine kits in stores, are these ok to use? Or should I start from scratch?

Kits are usually easier to start with. Not always the highest end product, but it lets you try out the hobby with minimal investment.

I would vote that beer is easier for beginners because the hardest part about starting to brew is waiting for your first few batches, and as long as you're not brewing something crazy your wait will be much shorter for your typical beer than for your typical wine.

Welcome :mug:
I have made both and would pretty much agree that beer is easier.
If you want really easy, but might take longer, you could make mead.
3# of honey per gallon of water, mix together with a little yeast nutrient, add yeast and let sit for a few months. If you like, transfer (rack) to another container, preferably glass, after about a month, and age until clear.

Back