What happens with late extract addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdoc04

Reaction score
I will be brewing an imperial IPA est. OG of 1.080.

I will be using 6 lbs of LME and 2 lbs of DME (and some brown sugar).

It will be a partial extract with 2 lbs of pale malt.

I was thinking of doing a late extract addition (possibly the DME and a pound or two of LME) at about 30 minutes into the 1 hour boil.

Will I get another large hotbreak and lose my hops?

You might get some hotbreak, but it shouldn't be that bad.
A lot of people add all of there Extracts later in the boil to keep the beer lighter in color.
Make sure you take it off the heat no matter when you add the extracts.

Should have little to no effect on you hops

In my experience, there is a lot of foaming and a slight hot break associated with late DME additions, and much less so with LME. For that reason, you should be really careful when adding DME late, with heavy stirring and/or Fermcap S to avoid boil over.

In late additions, I add DME with 10-15 minutes left in the boil so it all dissolves. I add late LME additions after flame out, just to ensure it is sanitized in the near boiling wort. I don't believe it needs to be boiled at all, but boiling won't hurt.

I believe hot break has already been acheived for LME and DME when the extract was produced by the Maltster. Therefore, most of the break material is produced by the grain bill.

I'd add the DME early (at the beginning), and the LME late. I'd add the LME at the end of the boil. I wouldn't mess around with adding the extract at 30 minutes- all that would do is slow the boil but still carmelize the extract anyway. There'd be not reason to go with 30 minutes at all- if you want to do late extract additions, doing them with 15 minutes or less remaining. Since it tends to stop the boil for a few minutes, I'd add it at the end of the boil just before turning off the flame.

You may or may not get a little bit of hot break, but it doesn't matter.

I'd add the DME early (at the beginning), and the LME late. I'd add the LME at the end of the boil. I wouldn't mess around with adding the extract at 30 minutes- all that would do is slow the boil but still carmelize the extract anyway. There'd be not reason to go with 30 minutes at all- if you want to do late extract additions, doing them with 15 minutes or less remaining. Since it tends to stop the boil for a few minutes, I'd add it at the end of the boil just before turning off the flame.

You may or may not get a little bit of hot break, but it doesn't matter.

--Thanks everyone for the comments. So how does this sound:
1. Partial mash 2 lbs of grain + specialties --1 hour.
2. Add in DME and brown sugar (2 lbs)
3. Bring to boil---first hop addition
5. with 15 minutes left in boil pull out the hop bag, add in 6 lbs LME, bring back to boil.
6. Expect foaming
7. Put hop bag back in with final hop additions for last 10 minutes or so of boil.

--Thanks everyone for the comments. So how does this sound:
1. Partial mash 2 lbs of grain + specialties --1 hour.
2. Add in DME and brown sugar (2 lbs)
3. Bring to boil---first hop addition
5. with 15 minutes left in boil pull out the hop bag, add in 6 lbs LME, bring back to boil.
6. Expect foaming
7. Put hop bag back in with final hop additions for last 10 minutes or so of boil.

I wouldn't worry about pulling the hop bag out- it'll be fine staying in there.

Make shure you stir the shiz out of the lme and periodicaly when it boils. My experience is it likes to stick at the bottem.If you dont you can feel it at the bottem it feels kinda slick.

Back