Black Patent - make your own?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drez77

Reaction score
I am doing a robust porter this weekend and for some reason the order will not be here in time for the brew day. The only ingredient that I do not have on hand is black patent malt. I am wondering if I can make this myself by roasting some 2 row or maybe some chocolate in the oven. Has anyone done this and if you have any idea of how long I will want to roast it for? Or does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative to black patent. I am doing a pumpkin porter and I really do not want to push the brew date off. If worse comes to worse I can change it to a different style but really wanted to do the porter.

Mike

Although it is possible to roast your own, the timing can be a problem. What I would do in your situation is brew the beer without the BP and when it arrives, steep, sparge and boil it for 15 minutes. Then add it to the fermenter. A pint to a quart of water should be plenty.

Back