RIS Swap ~ PseudoChef's Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PseudoChef said:
I sent out 2 x 12 oz 888 RIS AG (aged 1 week on medium toast French Oak), 1 12 oz Heathen IIPA, and 1 12 oz Belgian Dubbel.

Recipients were Brewpastor, chriso, and Evan!.

Enjoy.
I have some 8 yr old RIS any interest in a trade? It has held up quite well.

The "RIS Swap - Namehere's Beers" threads are for the recipients from the 080808 swap to post their reviews.
Your offer is very cool and unique, but is best handled by PMing the OP (or me) instead of posting here.
(PMs exchanged, swap in progress. :) )

BP: Belgian Pale

Pour/Aesthetic:
After sitting in the fridge for a couple weeks, this was relatively clear. Nice white head with great lacing. Color was strawish-yellow with a bit of chill haze.

Aroma: Belgian, belgian, belgian. There's a touch of maltiness, and virtually no hop aroma. Some clovey notes with honeyed aromas too. There's even hints of creamy vanilla. But above all else, it has the quintessential "Belgian" nose...just a bit funky, with plenty of esters.

Palate:
The palate comes through nicely, delivering on the promises of the nose. Creaminess dominates the mouthfeel, and there's that citrusy-vanilla thing that dances around. Plenty of esters, again, and this bottle went very quickly.

Proximity to Style:
Damn close, as far as I can tell.

Overall Impression: I know this is a parti-gyle brew, so I should expect this, but if there's anything to be critical of, it's that the beer tended to be somewhat shallow. Not exactly complex, but that's not really a problem. This is great quaffin' beer, and there's no real "flaws" in it aside from being simple. You got the style right, though, there's no doubt about that. It's a basic belgian pale ale that showcases the yeast. Nicely done.

Score: 35/50

As others (Dude, Yuri, etc) mention, I'm trying to be as objective as I can possibly be. Even though I am a bit inexperienced in judging, I'm trying to "be the critic" not the "yes-man". Bear in mind at all times that regardless of what I write, I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to taste others' homebrew and provide feedback.

Heathen IIPA

12oz bottle. Appropriate fill level. Opened with a slight "pfft". Served at about 42F-45F. (I let it warm slightly before opening so that I could get an accurate assessment of the flavor)

I am not terribly knowledgeable on IIPAs or IPAs so the scores are merely opinion/impression, they are not BJCP Style based in nature.

Aroma: Floral and citrusy, a hint of yeastiness, sweet but not overbearing.. Could actually permit just a tad stronger aroma. 10/12

Appearance: Huge voluminous white-to-pale-straw head, GREAT amber color. Tiniest bit of haziness, but nearly crystal clear. 3/3

Flavor: Spicy and floral at first taste. Killer sweet/honey/malt backbone that really comes through the hop notes. Great hoppy finish with a sweet sensation persisting lightly throughout the entire sip. I'm not an IPA person but this is FANTASTIC! 20/20

Mouthfeel: Perfect. I can't say enough. Balanced body, great mouthfeel, NO harsh astringencies or bitternesses present at all, NO aftertaste. 5/5

Overall: This is an excellent beer that has wowed me completely. Far more tasteful and balanced than any tastebud-stripping West Coast IPA and a fantastic easy-drinking strong pale. My congratulations to you for this creation, and for your award. 10/10

48/50 - I love that you used US-05 too. Is there NOTHING this trusty yeast can't do?!?!

As others (Dude, Yuri, etc) mention, I'm trying to be as objective as I can possibly be. Even though I am a bit inexperienced in judging, I'm trying to "be the critic" not the "yes-man". Bear in mind at all times that regardless of what I write, I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to taste others' homebrew and provide feedback.

Belgian Dubbel

12oz bottle. Appropriate fill level. Opened with a slight "pfft". Served at about 45-50F.

Black is my opinion score, Green is my BJCP score.

Aroma: Notes of toast/pastries, apple, slight hint of clove, some banana, also a slight sourness. Interesting and inviting. 9/12 | 9/12

Appearance: Very nice caramel color, reddish tint. Slight straw-colored head that rapidly dissipated. Excellent clarity. 3/3 | 2/3 Head smaller than style indicates

Flavor: Very light and quenching, no particular hop or malt note that "overpowers" the palate. Some raisin/fig notes, very smooth and balanced. Nice hints of burnt toffee at around 55F that aren't present when colder. 15/20 | 18/20

Mouthfeel: Dry finish, very nice and crisp. Slightest "hot" finish at the back of the throat, a warming sensation. I thought the carb level was appropriate. 4/5 | 3/5 Style indicates that carbonation is actually low for a Dubbel. I think this ties in with the above remark re: head retention too.

Overall: Very nicely balanced beer. Easy to drink, very well-rounded. I enjoyed tasting this recipe. 8/10 | 9/10 Fix carb level and it's a 10/10 per style, I think.

39/50 - I am not usually a fan of estery beers but I find that usually Dubbels are just "moderate" enough that I can still appreciate them, and this beer was no exception to that. - 41/50 BJCP

PseudoChef's 08-08-08 RIS​

12oz SA bottle, appropriate fill lvl. Faint CO2 hiss on uncapping. My handy probe says I'm pouring this at 60*F - It was in the fridge at 39*F and I let it warm, capped, for about 45 minutes on the desk next to me.

A: Poured with a dark tan / brown 1/8" head. Dissipated very slowly. Inky coal black in color. Faint ruby highlights when put next to a very bright light.

A: Chocolate, cocoa, some fig/port hints, also a little whiff of bourbon and oak.

F: Dark and bready. Almost like a chocolate cake with beer in it. Hints of vanilla, a little touch of alcoholic heat. There are soft raisin/fig notes that occasionally bounce up, then quickly recede back into the chocolate. Hop bitterness is present but subdued. There is a little bit of cloying sweetness at the end of the swallow, but it's not inappropriate or excessive at all. At the very end of the taste, a nice warming sensation in the throat. Very smooth for 9%.

M: A bit thinner than expected, but appropriate. Very nice feel. Not grainy. A tiny bit of astringency, but not terribly prominent. Could even just be hop bitterness, it's that faint.

O: Very nicely done, a tasteful RIS that surprises in its complexity, but does not overwhelm. A very nicely balanced beer.

Ignore me. I'm a RIS gnome, just bumping this thread. Some people, see, have the forum to not show posts older than 1 month. This leads to them thinking that their post was deleted - when in fact, it is just hiding from them. Just like this RIS gnome is hiding from you.

:)

missing: brewpastor, evan!-ris

Back