Fruit Ale - Secondary Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgian Novice

Reaction score
Hi, all - quick question from a novice:

I made a Strawberry Pale Ale, standard recipe from a kit with 40oz of frozen strawberries. Wonderful fermenting period in the primary for 4 days. I have racked it to the secondary after those 4 days and combined cranberry extract (3oz) and a tablespoon of pectin.

It maintains a constant 62-66 degree and it has been nearly 48 hours and only a slight collection of foam (just a bit) on the top of the ale. No other activity. Should I be concerned? I am not use to secondary fermenting, so not sure. Should I pitch more yeast to increase more fermenting? Add any sugars?

My plan was to leave it there for another week before bottling. Thanks for your help.

You usually won't see much activity in the secondary. Just leave it alone for a couple of weeks and then bottle it.

hope it all clears ok, i once made a cranberry ale that required you rack to a tertiary fermenter to let any fruit gunk clear out of it.

Now that would be interesting. I believe I left most of the trub and, of course, the floating strawberries behind when I racked it to the secondary. Now I am going to leave it alone for a few weeks and see what happens. Just starting the whole experimentation thing so we will see. :)

Racking to a secondary after four days seems very early. Generally you should wait until fermentation has all but stopped. If you rack too early you lose some of the benefits of using a secondary at all.

Back