Wyeast 1056 at 61F versus 66F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

progmac

Reaction score
I prepared what, to me, is a nearly perfect batch of cream ale. Because of the season, my fermentation temp was low, hovering around 61 degrees. That batch has is bottled and I am enjoying it. So much that I'm going to brew it again. It has warmed up a bit and the ambient temperature is now 66 degrees. I'm wondering what kind of taste difference I might see between these two temps. I really don't want to get into the realm of fruity with this one.

I fermented my cream ale with US-05 (same as 1056) at 59F-62F due to weather also. After about 10 days I brought it in so it warmed up to 68F. It came out perfect!

It should be very clean at 66F or below, you probably won't notice much difference. Fermentation will be a little quicker at 66, though. As your initial ambient was 61, your beer was probably near or above 70 at high krausen. Now that it's slowed down (I assume) 66 is probably great for it. You really want to ferment in the low-mid 60s IN THE BEER- remember that your beer can easily be 10F above ambient when fermenting vigorously. I think you got lucky on this one and should probably implement some simple temperature controls outside of adjusting the ambient temp.

It should be very clean at 66F or below, you probably won't notice much difference. Fermentation will be a little quicker at 66, though. As your initial ambient was 61, your beer was probably near or above 70 at high krausen. Now that it's slowed down (I assume) 66 is probably great for it. You really want to ferment in the low-mid 60s IN THE BEER- remember that your beer can easily be 10F above ambient when fermenting vigorously. I think you got lucky on this one and should probably implement some simple temperature controls outside of adjusting the ambient temp.
Sorry, I may have been unclear. I clarified my original post. The batch that finished at 61 has been finished for a while. It is bottled and I am drinking it. But I am going to brew the same beer this weekend, and I know the room is more like 66 now, not 61.

I have a stick-on thermometer on my bucket and the fermentation didn't raise the temperature more than a degree or two.

Check out the swamp cooler technique to keep your fermenter a few degrees below ambient.

20 gallon tub + water + ice or fan.

This is an old thread but I am still interested in the result. I want to make a quick beer re-using using 1056. a cream ale might be just the thing. I made a porter, re-used some for a double IPA, and now I'd like to make one more beer with it. I do have temp control and would appreciate any comments on 1056 at lower temps.

This is an old thread but I am still interested in the result. I want to make a quick beer re-using using 1056. a cream ale might be just the thing. I made a porter, re-used some for a double IPA, and now I'd like to make one more beer with it. I do have temp control and would appreciate any comments on 1056 at lower temps.

1056 also makes a very clean and crisp American Amber Ale, Northern Brewer kit. Keep it below 64° for the best flavors. Use a swamp cooler. Tray with about 6 inches of water, fermentor wrapped in a cottom towel, fan blowing air across to increase evaporation.
Don't cover your thermostrip or it will show a much lower temperature.

This thread has brought back memories of those batches. They were both good. But I can taste a difference between 1056 at 61 vs 66 and prefer the lower temperature.

Back