Corny keg in place of a carbonator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthBeer

Reaction score
Could anyone give advise on the effectiveness and safety of using a corney keg in a post mix system instead of a carbonator. I have a 5 valve post mix system with soda pumps, but no carbonator or available water line.

I would like to use a corny keg with carbonated water hooked to the water line of the system. A few questions i've been looking into are:
Does the keg need to be refrigerated to help absorb the co2?
What psi would be needed to carb 5 gallons of water?
I've read in other posts that carbonators run at 100 psi. Is that a safe pressure for cornies?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cornies are rated to 125 I believe, and have a pop-off valve that will blow before the keg as a safety mechanism.
Carbonators do run at 100psi to get the warm water carbonated fast.
To get soda level carbonation you need 30-35psi in a keg of soda or water at a temp of the low 30's. It can take a couple days just standing upright to dissolve all the CO2, laying it down speeds things up a little, shaking it can reduce the time to under 30 minutes.

I don't know what pressure the fountains run for the soda water at the fountain head, but imagine is is MUCH lower than the 100psi at the carbonator. If you figure out the pressures, a tank of soda water should run a fountain just fine.

Fallon said:
To get soda level carbonation you need 30-35psi in a keg of soda or water at a temp of the low 30's. It can take a couple days just standing upright to dissolve all the CO2, laying it down speeds things up a little, shaking it can reduce the time to under 30 minutes.

I've got 5 gallons of Ginger Ale in a keg at 35F for a week. When it comes out of the faucet almost all of the CO2 comes out of solution and leaves the Ginger Ale flat. I was dispensing at 12psi through 3 feet of 1/4" glass lined tubing. Beer on the next tap over seem to flow better.... but it's been on tap one week longer.

(Sorry, to get off topic... just wondering if this is a Carb issue based on Fallon's comment.)

Back