When to use finings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malarky

Reaction score
So the use of finings is for ascetic purposes only right? Finings may even subtract from your wine?

Just asking because my banana wine has fallen wonderfully clear, and with so many people on the boards talking about fining everything, I just wanted to make sure that it is OK to NOT use finings.

Quick question about degassing too...
My banana is 5-6 months old and bone dry, I've never degassed besides stirring in the primary and the racking process, do you think it has degassed on its own? If I stir it to degass now, won't that promote oxidation?

Yes, finings are for *aesthetic purposes, to make the wine less cloudy. If it's clear, don't use it. :)

If it's had an airlock on it for all those months, it will have degassed itself, as the pressure will have reached an equilibrium with the atmosphere around it. If for some reason you completely sealed it with lids, screwtops, bungs etc., it might be a bit gassy, but I assume you didn't do this. If you did and it is fizzy and you dislike this fizz, I can't help you. If you like it fizzy, I'm happy for you and I hope you enjoy it. I presume it's not fizzy though, and if it isn't no degassing is required.

I think that's what degassing is all about.

Back