Wine fermentation vs beer fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tophe

Reaction score
In general, does wine ferment as agressively as beer does? Most of my brews take off within 12 hours and 24 hours are bubbling once per second in the airlock.

I just brewed my first batch of wine( A kit from wine expert) Its been almost 24 hours, and I have 1 bubble per every 16 seconds. Im not worried, I didn forget to aerate the wine really good before pitching. I did stir it pretty well while adding the ingredients.

Well, its only a few hours later and its increasing to a bubble/ 5 seconds so this is good!

Does wine get the foam on the top like the brew does? I dont like not brewing in a glass carboy!

Grape juice lacks the proteins that form the krausen & head on beer, so you might see a little foam, but not much.

Wine is different. Beer is basically made of a pure sugar mix.. malt. Wine has 8000 variables. The most important of which is the yeast. Thats some hardy yeast you have there btw but youre right thats too hot normally. Wine seems to take longer to ferment (im a COMPLETE novice with beer) which makes sense as people make it with 1000 different fruits, different sugar contents, and different yeasts. It sounds like you just got a strong yeast, like ec-1118. With higher temps + 1118 it makes sense it fermented like MAD. IMHO this just means youre just going to have to let the wine age longer. And.. theres no law against tasting it... it should taste HArsh (strong flavors.. very strong) but very "winy" ...

no real krausen with wine but when you get to the degassing stage, BE careful or you'll have a wine volcano :)

Back