How do you all measure out your water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkUncle

Reaction score
I just recently bought a PM kit which I'm debating whether or not to mash in my 10 gallon cylinder cooler MLT. The kit has only 4 pounds of actual grain to be mashed. Not sure if a 10 gallon MLT is too big. Some say yes, some say no.

Well anyway, according to Beer Smith my first step is to boil up 6.2 gallons of water in my kettle. Should I fashion some sort of measuring dipstick so I know when I've arrived in the vicinity of 6.2 gallons in my kettle before bringing to a boil?

Following that, I'm to mash with 5 quarts of water at 170.5 degrees and hold it at a temp of 158 degrees for 45 minutes.

Then it tells me to sparge with 2.09 gallons the first time and 2.86 gallons the 2nd time, both at 168 degrees.

What's the easiest way to measure something like this out of a boiling hot brew kettle?

Thanks

I have a sight glass installed on my HLT. I marked it in half gallon increments. So when I pump my mash water into my mash tun I just watch the water level. When it hits my desired amount I shut off the pump then re-fill it to heat my sparge water. Same deal for pumping my sparge water. on my BK I marked the outside with a sharpie in 1 gallon increments. I also used a pipe cutter to score the handle of my SS mash paddle in gallon increments.

I use a stainless steel ruler to measure my water in HLT and also post and preboil. In my system 1 inch = 1 gallon.

I use one gallon apple juice jugs (from an old batch of Apfelwein) that I have marked with a sharpie at the 1, 2 and 3 quart points. Knowing that 1 quart is 0.25 gallons, I just guestimate the rest. FWIW, I would check the box that tells BeerSmith to sparge in equal volume batches.

L

It takes a little longer to measure out my water but I use a pyrex quart measuring cup with ounce markings on the side.

For your example of 2.09 gallons.....2.09 X 4(quarts per gallon) = 8.36 quarts
8.36 quarts = 8 quarts + 11 ounces.

I know you probably know this, but you wanted to know how we did our measurements.

I also have a sight glass on my brewpot which is a must in my book.

At the beginning of brew day, I don't measure. I just fill up my pot about 80% full and start heating all that. I would rather have more hot water than not enough.

When I mash I measure out the water in a gallon pitcher and dump into the mash tun. When I'm boiling, I made a dipstick out of the mash paddle that I use to stir by scratching it up with a knife.

I use Homer buckets, marked on the side in half-gallon increments with a permanent marker. Works fine for me.

I basically do the same thing, but with a TrueBrew bucket and I fill it via the ball valve on my HTL. I know the markings on the side aren't exact, but they are close enough for me. Since I use the same bucket for all my water volumes I keep consistency in my process which helps me hit my gravities.

Back when my mash tun had a big burner under it, I had a sightglass on that too and just filled it until I had the water I needed. Now I go into the HLT first, which of course has a sight glass. Prior to that, I used a graduated ale pail.

I have a one gallon pitcher with 1 quart markings on the side

I have a 5 gallon bucket with 1 gallon markings on the side

I have a dipstick custom made for each of my pots.

I use all 3

One thing to remember is that water expands when heating. You can expect 4% expansion from room temp to boiling.

I measured out exactly 1 gallon in a plastic vinegar gallon jug and marked it with a sharpie.

I have a length of CPVC that i marked with a sharpie at 1 gallon intervals for my brewpot.

Nice and simple :)

I just recently bought a PM kit which I'm debating whether or not to mash in my 10 gallon cylinder cooler MLT. The kit has only 4 pounds of actual grain to be mashed. Not sure if a 10 gallon MLT is too big. Some say yes, some say no.

Well anyway, according to Beer Smith my first step is to boil up 6.2 gallons of water in my kettle. Should I fashion some sort of measuring dipstick so I know when I've arrived in the vicinity of 6.2 gallons in my kettle before bringing to a boil?

Following that, I'm to mash with 5 quarts of water at 170.5 degrees and hold it at a temp of 158 degrees for 45 minutes.

Then it tells me to sparge with 2.09 gallons the first time and 2.86 gallons the 2nd time, both at 168 degrees.

What's the easiest way to measure something like this out of a boiling hot brew kettle?

Thanks

I've been one that has said you can do low volumes in the 10 gallon cooler. After a few more brew days I've learned a few things. 1. Pre-heat the tun with 180F water for a good half hour. 2. Every calculator I've used resulted in a mash 3-4 degree's cooler than I wanted (except one time I hit it right on. Not sure why, but its the outlier.). Once the temp stabalized, it held pretty well - but dropped towards the end of the mash. For my next brew, I'm going to use the calc and add 4F to it. Its easier to cool than to heat.

I have a bunch of one gallon water jugs that I just fill up and take outside. Also have a 2 qt pitcher marked with 1 and 2 qt increments. If I need to get specific I add my pyrex measuring cup to the mix.

Back