Fermentation Room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atgregory

Reaction score
I would like to build a fermentation room, because I want to ferment in larger containers (converted kegs). I live in an area where the outside temp can go from 100+ to -10. If I build and insulate a room (8x8) would a A/C unit like this work without any modification or external temp unit? The unit does both A/C and Heat..

Link: http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Air-Conditioners-Fans-Dehumidifiers-Air-Conditioners/h_d1/N-5yc1vZasfhZ5zhq5/R-202073154/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you,

Adam

i think Jamil has a write up on his site. IIRC, it lays out the unit needs to the square foot and how to wire in a better controller.

The temp swing with that A/C unit will be more than you want to control fermentation. You'll need a temp controller & set it at ~2F differential. That A/C unit will not work with a temp controller because it's digital/remote. You need an analog unit or be a real fancy electrician to bypass the electronics in the A/C unit. 7000BTU in an 8x8 box should be okay for a lager fermentation @~50F. If you're thinking about lagering in it I doubt it could handle it.

The window mounted h/p units would work fine. They are designed for a 300 sqft room. I have basically the same thing and it works awesome. I check with several diff. Thermostats to make sure it keeps my room to temp. Keeps it within one degree of set point in the summer and pretty much dead on in the winter. I work in the industry and the controls on these types of units have come leaps and bounds in the past few years. I don't like lagers all that much, so I haven't tested it on low temps in the summer, but it shouldn't be a problem in the winter. I am about to change over to a mini split unit, because my supplier is gonna give me one. These are the ultimate fermenting room unit. Everyone should have one.
https://www.expresshvac.com/res_systems/ductless/goodman/hvac_goodman_ductless_MSG12HRN1N.asp

Latest posts

Back