Cloudy beer at end of keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmiltime

Reaction score
I typically ferment beer in primary for 2 weeks then transfer to keg (adding gelatin) purge off O2 with CO2, pressurize at about 15psi and let sit for at least 2 more weeks at room temp, then chill to about 38°-40°. I typically have some sediment in my first couple of pours but recently I have noticed that right before the keg is emptied the last 4-5 glasses of beer in the keg get extremely cloudy. It doesn't look like chill haze at all, it looks like massive sediment, almost yeast like in the beer.

Does anyone know what this is and why it happens and if there is anything I can do to avoid it?

Thanks

Thats where all the rest of the trub has fallen and just like racking from carboy to carboy when you get to the very bottom the sediment gets disturbed by the very low liquid level and actually starts to get sucked up.

So let me understand, the trub settles but doesn't get sucked out until the liquid levels are low? With the dip tube at the bottom of the keg, why doesn't the trub get sucked up first with the other sediment? Where would the trub 'fall' that it would avoid getting sucked up into the dip tube? Would shaking or swirling the keg, then letting settle get rid of this trub? Is there any other way to get this trub out right away so it doesn't do this at the end?

Thanks

Kind of embarrassing when you have friends over and a big rush of trub comes out into your buddy's glass. Wish I could do something about it...

I'm open to suggestions.

Trub does come out in the first glass or two after a good amount of settling is allowed.

To eliminate it completely you would have to filter your beer prior to kegging. Can be done with a undercounter sink filter and a fiber cartridge.

Longer primaries will reduce the trub into the keg as will lng secondaries.

Gelatine has also been used in the keg to help "lock down" the trub but, it also result in gelatine floaties in the glass.

The first few pulls the trub say an inch around the tube gets pulled up as the keg gets very low the beer starts to suck if from the sides of the keg along the bottom of the keg. Same as when you drain a water heater to clear out sediment . First it come out nasty then clears and then just before the tank is almost empty nasty crap again.

I don't have this problem as I cold crash in the primary and if needed add the gelatin to it . Then I rack to the corny I get very little sediment even on the first pull.

There are several other things you can do. Bend the dip tube so that it's not so close to the bottom of the cornie. To do that place a phillip's head screw driver that is a realitvely tight fit into the dip tube place the tube over you knee and slowly bend it futher in the same direction it's already bent. Other people cut 1" or so off the end of the dip tube.

If I'm going to take a cornie to a party I'll rack a second time from a cornie with my bend tube to another cornie so the trub won't get resuppended in the beer as it travels to the party.

You could try crashing the primary at two weeks, adding the gelatin and waiting a few days before racking to a keg. This will get you pretty "clean" beer.

I've CO2 force trasferred from one corny to another to get it off the trub. Basically I still carbonate it in the first keg so it's carbing up as its cold-crashing. After a week or so I force transfer it to a clean keg leaving the bottom behind and the beer is already carb-ed and ready to drink.

Perfect! Thanks for the advice. I purchased an extra transfer tube with liquid disconnects and an additional dip tube a while back so I could transfer from keg to keg. I think I will give this a try. So here is what I am thinking:

- Primary little longer (2-3 weeks) to help clean up and settle trub
- Rack to keg (secondary) with gelatin leave for additional 2 weeks
- Cold crash for a week
- Transfer from keg (secondary) to final keg using liquid out/liquid in
- Place in kegerator for few days, then check first pour for sediment

Sounds like this is the best shot I have with the equipment I have to clear things up.

Back