Sour Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinwilson

Reaction score
I have been hearing really good things about New Belgium Beer's La Folie but since I live no where near Colorado I can not get it to try. Does anyone know of any similar beers that are distributed in New England?

Can you get Rodenbach Grand Cru where you're at? If so, give it a try. It might be the closest you can get as far as a similar level of sourness, acidity and flavor profile of La Folie.

Might be off topic but, what are some good sour beers to try, I have been meaning to see if I can get some at the local beer store.

Rodenbach and Cantillion make some great beers. I've had some at Stone called Monk's Cafe and they were good. You can probably find Lindemans at a good liquor store, but I don't think they are great examples because they are pasteurized and sweetened.
You will probably have to look at a store that has a wide selection, otherwise you'll find the really commercial stuff.

I second the Rodenbach and Cantillion suggestion....Russian River and Jolly Pumpkin have some very good sour brews also worth sourcing.

Originally posted by Dude
Rodenbach Grand Cru, eh? Does that have a banana clovey profile as well?

Jolly Pumpkin? Where is that?

No banana/clove flavors in Rodenbach Grand Cru. It's a Flanders Red and is very sour and acidic. Regular Rodenbach is much more subdued in it's sourness. It more resembles, say, Duchesse De Bourgogne.

Jolly Pumpkin is out of Dexter Michigan. They make some extraordinary oak aged, bottle conditioned Belgian style beers. I have some La Roja aged 20 months in the oak, it's outstanding!

Brewtopia said:
No banana/clove flavors in Rodenbach Grand Cru. It's a Flanders Red and is very sour and acidic. Regular Rodenbach is much more subdued in it's sourness.

I just had these back-to-back about 3 weeks ago. True. True.

Back