Hop schedule help for IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forcabrew

Reaction score
So I'm trying to put together a quick extract IIPA recipe to brew this weekend with the ingredients I have on hand.

Stuff I have
Grain
2 row
Maris otter
Rye
Vienna
C60
Carapils

Hops
Citra
Centinial
Cascade
Mt hood
EKG
Fuggle
Willametre

I was thinking of using
9lbs of extra light DME
1lb C60
1lb rye
.5lb carapils

But I'm stuck at which and at what time I should add the hops. This would be for a 5 gallon batch and I'm shooting for around 8.5abv

Any suggestions or changes would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Can you describe what type of IIPA you are shooting for by comparing it to a few commercial examples that you enjoy, or at least providing us with some desired flavor descriptors?

The recipe you gave is not an Extract recipe so I assume you want to do Partial Mash. Are you able to mash more than 1 lb. grain? You may need rice hulls if you're using a decent amount of rye.

As far as the hop selection goes, a combo of Citra, Centennial, and Cascade would be your best bets... with Willamette as a distant fourth option.

Lastly, will this be a full volume boil? Please list your desired boil size and batch size in gallons.

I would be steeping grains and would probably need to top off with a gallon of water. I'm really not trying to clone anything but for IIPA's I like nugget nectar, ghandi-bot, captain lawerence. Hoping to use mostly citra if it works. I put the 1lb of rye in there to see if I can make a nice imperial rye IPA as I have seen many of these. I would also try to conceal any alcohol bite to the beer. Basically looking for a nice somewhat sweet with the earthiness of some rye and a good amount of bitterness from the hops without the beer being too dry. And of course great hoppy flavor and aroma. If the rye doesn't work I don't have to use it.

Citra, Centennial, and Cascade is a great combo, keep the citra for flavor & aroma additions and/or dry-hopping (don't bitter with it). as for a schedule - how bitter do you want your brew? do you have a target IBU? if you have hops to spare, consider adding a lot of late hops ("hop bursting").

if you have some two-row, and you need to mash anyways because of the rye, why not use some 2-row and decrease how DME you need to use? i believe the conversion is 1# grain = 0.6# DME. so for example throw in 3# of barley, and cut your DME by 1.8#. i found there was a notable improvement in my beer when i started sub'ing 2-row for DME, even if it was only a partial sub.

i like rye in IPAs. in fact i'll be brewing one this weekend. keep it to under 20% of the grain bill.

Rye must be mashed, not steeped. It also has a tendency to get really sticky/gummy in the mash, which is why people also use rice hulls with it. For best quality and optimal hop utilization, it would be best not to top off with water. What is your kettle size?

Here's a recipe I had laying around, but I swapped a few of the hops and malts out to fit what you have on hand...

4-3-2-1 IIPA
6 gal boil / 5 gal batch
2 week primary / 2 week secondary
Mash at 152 F for 60 minutes
1.083 OG
1.017-1.019 FG
130 IBUs
9 SRM

36% 4 lbs. Xtra Light DME
26% 3 lbs. Maris Otter
18% 2 lbs. Xtra Light DME (Late Addition)
10% 1 lb. Vienna
6% 10 oz. Crystal 60
6% 10 oz. Corn Sugar (Late Addition)

boil 60 mins 1.5 oz. Centennial leaf 11.0
boil 20 mins 1.0 oz. Centennial leaf 11.0
boil 10 mins 1.5 oz. Cascade leaf 7.0
boil 10 mins 1.5 oz. Centennial leaf 11.0
boil 10 mins 1.0 oz. Citra leaf 13.0
post-boil 1.5 oz. Cascade leaf 7.0
post-boil 1.0 oz. Centennial leaf 11.0
post-boil 1.0 oz. Citra leaf 13.0
dry hop 10 days 1.0 oz. Cascade leaf 7.0
dry hop 10 days 1.0 oz. Centennial leaf 11.0
dry hop 10 days 2.0 oz. Citra leaf 13.0

White Labs WLP007 Starter

bobbrews said:
Rye must be mashed, not steeped. It also has a tendency to get really sticky/gummy in the mash, which is why people also use rice hulls with it. For best quality and optimal hop utilization, it would be best not to top off with water. What is your kettle size?

Here's a recipe I had laying around, but I swapped a few of the hops and malts out to fit what you have on hand...

4-3-2-1 IIPA
6 gal boil / 5 gal batch
1.083 OG
1.017-1.019 FG
130 IBUs
9 SRM

26% 3 lbs. Maris Otter
10% 1 lb. Vienna
6% 10 oz. Crystal 60

+1 for hop additions

bobbrews said:

4-3-2-1 IIPA
6 gal boil / 5 gal batch
1.083 OG
1.017-1.019 FG
130 IBUs
9 SRM

26% 3 lbs. Maris Otter
10% 1 lb. Vienna
6% 10 oz. Crystal 60

I'll be using a 7.5 gallon aluminum kettle that I use for extract brewing. I'm working on my all grain rig so its out of commission right now and I need to get another keg on tap. That recipe looks good I'll swap out the rye for Maris otter and add some Vienna. I'll input this into beersmith to verify the ibus. I'm looking for nice bitterness with som sweet malty characteristics. Too much bitterness gives me the O-face

Perceived bitterness is subjective. You could always move the 60 min. addition to FWH for an even smoother bitterness.

130 IBUs may seem like a lot on paper, but with high OG/FG and a focus on late, low IBU additions, the malt sweetness will hold up to the hop bitterness. You won't have a syrupy sweet beer, a dominant malt profile, or a barleywine. Instead, you will have a nice IIPA that may be even too sweet for some at 1.017-1.019 FG. This is an old recipe, when my sweet tooth was more in control. I still prefer smooth but dominant bitterness, however I like less residual sugars... finishing at 1.010-1.014 FG with a lot of focus on late additions and low to moderate malt character with a hint of sweetness.

Thanks for the help everyone. I just got 5lbs of hops so this brew is gonna be great

Back