Raging ***** Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ Ha!

IslandLizard: Thanks for posting link. I had read that article before and forgotten about it I guess. All very relevant information, thank you for the reminder.

I saw the thread and figured it involved something like keeping your wife up all night. "Why would anyone want to clone THAT?"

Good thinking, but you still had to sniff it out, huh?

I'm convinced the beer's name is an homage not only to my ex but to many of ours. Could that be a reason why we like it so much. :tank:

After brewing my clone recipe and posting here I then found the Can You Brew It clone recipe for rage. This is a recipe derived directly from a conversation with a Flying Dog brewer. I know some of you have even posted in that thread, I just wanted to reference the podcast and the hbt thread here for other people in the future:
Recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-flying-dog-raging-*****-313458/
Podcast http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/856

The one thing that recipe leaves out is dry hopping, from listening to the podcast I kind of get the impression that they just forgot to talk about it :confused:. Considering the stove topper recipe I would add 2-3 oz of Amarillo for dry hopping to the linked recipe.

So, pending results from my current fermenting batch, I'm planning on tweaking my previous recipe to use no more than 6% crystal, 0.25 oz each of amarillo and ctz at 15 min, and 0.75 oz each of amarillo and ctz at whirlpool.

So I packaged last night and had a taste. It's still too young to really judge but one thing I do notice is that the Belgian character is too mild. So either I need to ferment at higher temperatures or give the ardennes 3522 a shot. I started fermenting at about 67F and after a few days coasted up to 72F.

I finally got to try a bottle of the original today.
Very tasty but must admit I'm a bit disappointed that they filtered the **** out of it. Maybe I have a false perception of what a Belgian IPA should be like but I thought it would have some yeast in it.

I tried cloning this beer last year using a witbier yeast and the CYBI recipe and I loved it. I really liked shaking up the bottle at the end and adding the sediment; the tartness of the yeast blended perfectly with the hops. I'm going to rebrew and make a split batch of Raging ***** and Snake Dog because I have a pile of Columbus I want to use. :ban:

Very tasty but must admit I'm a bit disappointed that they filtered the **** out of it. Maybe I have a false perception of what a Belgian IPA should be like but I thought it would have some yeast in it.

I tried cloning this beer last year using a witbier yeast and the CYBI recipe and I loved it. I really liked shaking up the bottle at the end and adding the sediment; the tartness of the yeast blended perfectly with the hops. I'm going to rebrew and make a split batch of Raging ***** and Snake Dog because I have a pile of Columbus I want to use. :ban:

This an IPA not a Wit so it being filtered is a non issue in this beer.

Although tasty from a bottle, there's nothing like having RB from a tap. Something gets lost in the bottle. Can be due to age, or something else. Flying Dog is not the only brewery I've noticed this with. Stone has it too. Even their Enjoy By is much better on tap, and those bottles simply can't be that old.

I found Snake Dog a bit underwhelming and thin, but never had it from a tap. I'm sure you can brew this one a bit better yourself.

I wouldn't shy away from dry hopping any of those, they're IPAs after all, and need some of that in-your-face hop aroma. Historically, the Brits added a minimum of 4 pounds of hops to a barrel for the long voyage to India. Now those were noble hops, not Amarillo or Columbus.

Thanks for your replies.
I don't keg so I'll have to bottle my next attempt again.
I usually just put a bottle in the freezer for a half an hour before I want to drink it. Next time I'll try cold crashing some of them for a few days and be really careful with pouring them. Then see what I like the best.
I get the feeling though that a lot of the aroma drops out of the beer with the yeast.

So I'm finally going to brew this again sometime this month.
Brewed a white IPA with the Forbidden Fruit yeast yesterday and kept a part of the starter for it.
Was my first time brewing with this yeast but I'm sure it will make a good Belgian IPA too.
I'll also make it a little bit weaker (6 to 7%) so it should probably be just called a Raging ***** inspired Belgian IPA.
Maybe I'll call it an Angry Whore :D

Anyway I'll report back with the exact recipe and the results sometime before the end of September.

Will be brewing this beer this weekend, but using some type of dry Belgian yeast instead of liquid. Has anyone ever attempted this recipe using dry yeast? If so, did it come out tasting similar to the original?

Will be brewing this beer this weekend, but using some type of dry Belgian yeast instead of liquid. Has anyone ever attempted this recipe using dry yeast? If so, did it come out tasting similar to the original?

I never got around to brewing it a second time so hence no report back.
I think you would want to stick to a wit yeast and not use something like T-58.
Brewferm Blanche might be an option but the new dry wit yeast from Mangrove Jacks sounds promising. Unfortunately I still haven't seen any reports back on how good (or bad) it is.

Here in Europe we have a range of dry yeasts from a polish company called Gozdawa and their wit yeast is supposed to be very good. So it's possible that Mangrove Jacks have come up with something similar.

Trying is knowing :)

I think I'm going to brew this using the S-33 strain. From the manufacturer's description it seems like it will get me the flavor profile I'm looking for in this style of beer. I will update as things progress! :tank:

Well brewed this up today, and as usual it was a great, stress free brew day. Hit all my numbers spot on, and now that I have a pretty good handle on my brewhouse efficiency things are turning out exactly as they were planned.

Only change to OP's recipe was I had to make a bittering hop substitution cause AiH was out of Warrior hops unfortunately. I went with 1 oz of Chinook which was a little less AA's but I think will work out ok.

Recipe I made was 83% 2 Row, 9% crystal 40, 5% carapils, and 3% turbinado sugar to help dry it out a bit. I used Mangrove Jack's M27 yeast instead of the S-33, it seemed to have more positive reviews saying it puts out a consistent "belgian" flavor profile so fingers crossed on that. I'm fermenting at room temp currently, ~70F and going to let it rise from there.

Will update as it progresses...

Well brewed this up today, and as usual it was a great, stress free brew day. Hit all my numbers spot on, and now that I have a pretty good handle on my brewhouse efficiency things are turning out exactly as they were planned.

Only change to OP's recipe was I had to make a bittering hop substitution cause AiH was out of Warrior hops unfortunately. I went with 1 oz of Chinook which was a little less AA's but I think will work out ok.

Recipe I made was 83% 2 Row, 9% crystal 40, 5% carapils, and 3% turbinado sugar to help dry it out a bit. I used Mangrove Jack's M27 yeast instead of the S-33, it seemed to have more positive reviews saying it puts out a consistent "belgian" flavor profile so fingers crossed on that. I'm fermenting at room temp currently, ~70F and going to let it rise from there.

Will update as it progresses...

Hi A2HB,

You made the right choice if your options were S-33 or M27.
S-33, contrary to the commercial description, is not a typical Belgian strain. It's actually supposed to be the old Edme Strain English Ale Yeast.
The only problem with M27 for this beer is that it has a really high attenuation. The one time I used it I ended up at 1.002 from around 1.063 for an attempt at a Cali Belgique clone. Tasted good but way too strong.
If you are starting at about 1.080 then expect a 9.5 to 10.5% beer :drunk:
Especially if you added extra sugar.
So you might need to let it mature a bit longer than expected.
Would love to hear how it turns out though.

Back