First Lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helmstreet

Reaction score
Alright, I know things are early, but I just took my first gravity reading (6 weeks post brew) and am drinking the sample. Holy **** I'm loving this beer. It's gonna kill me to wait a year to bottle. It's only at 1.010, so I've clearly got some time ahead of me. I'm planning on adding some raspberries in the fall and bottling in the spring.

It's tasty as hell. Reminds me a bit of Lindemann's Cuvvee Renee (probably the residual sweetness). No where near as tart as a finished lambic, but really cool.

You will enjoy it a lot more once the brett takes hold and starts adding more complexity. I have a wild beer I made that started out sort of boring but saison-like, then became overwhelmed with diacetyl and now is a very smooth brett flavor-dominated beer. It's like Orval but without the high level of hop flavor. I guess it is sort of a native Texas lambic. I'm going to try making an oud bruin out of it sometime later in the year by sour mashing and then pitching my wild culture.

I have my first lambic going now. It's about 3.5 months old so it's a little early for brett but I'm sure come summer pedio will get busy and brett will be cleaning up after it. I haven't tasted it yet but I am very excited to bottle it this at the end of the year. I plan on doing it solera style so it will be a gift that keeps giving.

Latest posts

Back