re-using yeast after high gravity brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks: I just made a dubbel using WLP540 Abbey IV Ale Yeast. I have heard/read that you shouldn't use yeast after it has produce a beer like this. It was near 1.070 and should finish around 1.011 (hopefully). I pitched @ 75F, in a room that was @ 75F, after 2 days of active fermentation of the main mash I added the simple sugars.
What do y'all do. Is the yeast beat? I can either make a big RIS or a simple nut brown. I can put the new beer right on top of the yeast cake or just pitch a pint of slurry. Or just start a new batch of yeast. Thoughts??

Thanks, Charlie

I'm no expert but I can give you my experiences. I've made several beers in the 1.060 range and re-used the yeast without any troubles following the yeast washing method on the HBT wiki (just google 'yeast washing wiki').

The only thing that sounds a little odd to me is that you're planning to use a belgian abbey yeast for a RIS or a nut brown ale? Isn't that a little unorthodox? But by all means, don't let me discourage you if you're looking for something unique :)

Belgian Stouts are pretty damn good - go for it if you want to.

I have read that if you're reusing a cake you don't want to go down too much in gravity - i.e. you wouldn't want to ferment a 1.045-1.050 beer with yeast that have worked on your 1.070 dubbel. If anyone has any more information on that, or can tell me if it's completely wrong, I'd appreciate it :)

I remeber listening to a podcast from the brewing network that had something to say about the subject. Their view was that after going through a high gravity fermentation the yeast is pretty stressed, and it's best to start your next batch with new yeast, using a started if it's a higher gravity wort.

Thanks Guys
@neo: I know a little strange but hate to waste the yeast. I guess I could make a Trippel.
@indigi: I didn't think about it being a belgian stout, hmmm!
@josh: That's what I thought I read or heard. I have re-used yeast @ 1.060 SG w no problems. Never re-used 1.070 yeast though.

i've done it, and the next brew was tasty
I think what the "nay sayers" are meaning is refering to pitching slurry from your previous brew without going through the wash and starter stage in a 1.040 wort. True the cells are pooped after a tough brew, but it's like taking an R&R in the starter... Least ways, that's been my experience...

I'm sure this is just another "homebrewer no-no" myth that's a rule... just because someone, somewhere, for some reason decided it was probably bad.

Has anyone taken the time to interview the yeast? "Hey! Are you stressed??" Give those yeasties a chance to shine.

I'm sure this is just another "homebrewer no-no" myth that's a rule... just because someone, somewhere, for some reason decided it was probably bad.

Agreed. I'm another one that doesn't buy that stressed yeast business. I wouldn't use the yeast in the secondary without stepping it up because of the cell count, not because it was stressed.

IMHO, propagating yeast is propagating new yeast and unless the old yeast was mutated in some in some way it is fine.

Back