Lemon Zest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZGirl

Reaction score
I made a batch of lager from a basic kit yesterday and it's bubbling away today.

I would like to add lemon zest to it. Hopefully that is a good idea?

First question is how much? And second question is when to add it? And do I need to take it back out again? (I bottle from my primary.) How long does it have to be in there for to make an impact on taste.

That sounds worth trying! I would let it ferment about two weeks (typical time for primary) and then add it. As far as the amount, I'm assuming you're doing a 5 gal batch? I haven't don eit personally, but I would think one, MAYBE two lemons would be more then enough. Just zest lightly and don't get much rhine in it.

1/4 cup maybe? :confused:

Oops yes, 5 gallon batch... so one week is enough time for the zest to sit in there?

I would try a finished lager with lemon zest in it before you decide to contamina... erm I mean add some to your batch. If it's to your liking, the zest of two lemons should be adequate. Be sure to use just the zest, and not any of the white pith underneath as it's really bitter. I mean REALLY bitter. I'm talkin ex-spouse bitter.

And no, you don't have to take it back out again, but for bottling it's easier to put it all in a hop bag so it all stays together.

I don't know for certain but, I am wondering if the oils in the zest will kill your head retention. I have heard it is not recommended to add a slice of lemon to a Hefe, as has become popular here in the US, for that very reason. But perhaps that is from the juice and not the citrus oils in the peel?

Sorry I am not offering anything solid advice wise. :eek:
Merely speculation, but that was the concern that sprang to mind. Don't want you to be disappointed in your brew.

Back