Need help with a base recipe for a wood chip/Jack Daniels beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewalk02

Reaction score
I've got a friend that I'm trying to get into homebrewing and I think I found just the way but I'm going to need a little help getting the recipe right. He likes all kinds of beer and is a huge fan of Jack Daniels so I thought I would brew up a combo of the two.

Here are my initial thoughts....start with a Belgium Dark Strong Ale recipe with some smoked grains. Let that ferment out then place in a keg along with some oak chips that have been charred (lightly) then soaked in Jack Daniels and let it sit for about 6 months. Crack open and enjoy!

Only problem is that I have never made a Belgium Dark Strong Ale before so I need some suggestions for a good recipe that will go good with the oak chips and Jack Daniels. Here is something I threw together quickly just for fun:

Grains:
Rahr 2-row - 12 lbs
Caramel Vienna - 2 lbs
Smoked Malt - 4 lbs
Biscuit - 2 lbs
Special Roast Malt - 1.25 lbs

Hops:
Centennial - 1 oz. for 60 min
Centennial - 1 oz. for 30 min
Cascade - 2 oz. for 0 min

Yeast:
White Labs Super High Gravity Ale

Additives:
Oak Chips (lightly charred) - 1 lb
Jack Daniels - enough to saturate the oak chips

Let me know what you guys think! BTW this is for a 5 gallon batch.

Midwest has a Bourbon Barrel ale that we've made a couple of times. It came out really good. It give you the essence of the liquor without the burn. We soaked the oak for a couple weeks and tossed the cubes and liquid in the carboy.

Copied from Midwest Supplies product description:
Bourbon Barrel Old Ale. Simulate the Bourbon cask experience without having to make 55 gallons. This British style refers in part to the strength of the beer as well as the maturation period associated with it. Vanilla, oak and bourbon notes dominate the flavor profile. Recommended aging time 6-12 months. Our ingredients for this recipe include: 6 lbs. Amber liquid malt extract, 3.3 lbs. Gold liquid malt extract, 8 oz. Brown Malt, 8 oz. Crystal 50-60°L, 8 oz. Wheat, 4 oz. Aromatic, 4 oz. Chocolate specialty grains, 1 oz. Northern Brewer, 2 oz. Glacier, 2 oz. Tradition hops, priming sugar, 2 oz. American Oak Cubes, muslin bag, and yeast.

Back