First mead!! IS IT RUINED ALREADY?!?!!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
j/k... I know, RDWHAHB....

Had question on my JAOM since I am a mead virgin...

Bubbling away nicely, but there is a distinct darker layer on the bottom of the jug... Looks almost like some honey that separated from the water after dissolving...

Any thoughts?

(pics would be done, but one handed photography is a little tricky)

Wow, that took WAY too long for me to figure out the one handed comment.

Indeed relax, it is just the lees and possibly some honey that has come out of solution. And of course Kahuna is right, the yeast will find all sugars and devours them all.

Sweet deal... I know what beer trub looks like, and this ain't it... Noticeably vigorous fermentation if I do say so... Who woulda thunk Fleischmann's had such potential?

I have some spare Nottingham and Montrachet hanging around, they any good for meads? Got a few more tubs of honey and a few other fruits SWMBO is hinting at...

I've got a Nottingham Mead bubbling away. I've not tasted it yet, but I do have high hopes.

I LOVE to use Pasteur Champeign yeast for mead, so I assume, and will soon confirm that Montrichet is a good cantidate.

The cool thing about mead, is that if you add the nutrients, it's got a great chance of being good no matter what you put in it.

Still chugging away here... The dark layer on the bottom has seemed to disappear... Apparently the yeast didn't need any direction on where to go to find food... Smells yummy when sniffin' the airlock....

:mug:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you have a brew in the other hand...

Well, technically, I am one handed at the moment... But yes, I am currently enjoying my Vanilla Porter at the moment...

:mug:

So at almost 3 months, I decided to finally take a gravity reading... Since I forgot to take an OG reading, I am kinda in the dark as far as what the attenuation has been, but after a quick check, it is down to 1.050... Granted I am keeping it in a fairly cool fermentation chamber... mid 60s*F...

Anyone tell me what the final gravity should end up as?

Thanks!

ZOMBIE THREAD REVIVAL!!!!!

So, after all the questions and what not regarding the mystical world of mead making, I thought I would share my good fortune...

Took First Place in The 2010 Brewmaster's Open here in Alpharetta for the Mead category, and also Best In Show for the Meads / Ciders category with the JAOM recipe... Apparently it was quite the hit...SWMBO is already asking where she can buy more honey at... Considering she is not a beer fan, this is a good thing to woo her towards the world of homebrew...

WOOHOO!!!

Back