Bottling first brew now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayday1019

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am about to start bottling my first brew now. I might be thinking too deep into this, but after I add the brew from the secondary into the bottling bucket, should I siphone from the top of the bucket or the bottom.

This sounds weird, I know...but I am having visions of siphoning from the bottom and having the first few bottles turning into grenades. If i siphon from the top, I am worried there will be no sugar to add carbonation.

Is the middle "just right?"

sorry guys, that was just the dumbest question I have ever asked in my life. If you read that question, that was 5 seconds of your life that I just wasted and you will never get back. If you're ever in the Boston area, I owe you a cold one!

mayday1019 said:
sorry guys, that was just the dumbest question I have ever asked in my life. If you read that question, that was 5 seconds of your life that I just wasted and you will never get back. If you're ever in the Boston area, I owe you a cold one!
It's really not that dumb of a question...the simple answer is stir it gently so that the priming sugar is mixed in well, then you don't need to worry about top or bottom.

It's all pretty much a moot point anyway, because after doing it with a syphon hose one time, you're gonna go buy a bottling bucket, or get a spigot for the bucket you've got.

I am kind of embarassed to admit this, but I did have a bottling bucket, complete with spigot. It was late and I had a few Sierra Nevadas in me...So again, the brew's on me!

Back