Advice on a Porter Recipe please :-)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi_Jonno

Reaction score
Hi all,

Its bottling day tomorrow, which means the primary fermenter will be free for another brew! :ban:

Im wanting to try something different, a porter. My favourite Porter is "Harringtons Wobbly Boot Porter Ale" http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/harringtons-wobbly-boot-porter-ale/13799/.
Its a smooth tasting beer, with a lingering malty aftertaste, I guess like a porter version of Newcastle. If possible this is my aim at least...

I have the following, for a 23L, 6.08 gal batch.

11.90lbs Dark Muntons LME
13.5oz Crystal Whole Grain (will crush and steep)
2.20lbs Black Patent Porter Whole Grain (Don't need to use it all)
Southern Cross 12% Pellet Hops (up to 2.5oz)
NZ Fuggle 6.9% Pellet Hops (up to 1.5oz)
1x Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

Im not sure if you need to crush the Black Patent Porter whole grain before I steep it? Iv heard that with chocolate grain you don't need to? If I steep both the Crystal and Black grain, can I do it at the same time in the same stocking?

What would the OG be if I used all the LME and some grain for 6.08 gal batch? Any suggestions on the amount of hops to use would be good to please.

Thanks for any help, Im not very good at making recipes... :eek:

There is little info on that brew from what I see...they mention "four specialty coloured malts imported from England" on their website.

Figure you prb want some chocolate malt and some crystal (who knows what degree or what combinations of degrees)...outside of that, it's impossible to guess with out knowing more about the flavor components or the original beer. Do you have any other info or can you compare the flavor with any well known porters?

Based on your description, you might want to consider a yeast w/ lower attenuation than US05 too.

What's your goal for the black patent w/ your dark LME?

Im not too worried about making a clone, but more meaning that style. EG: smooth and malty rather then a hoppy-er porter. :)

What's your goal for the black patent w/ your dark LME?

To be honest, Im not to sure what black patent is? I guess to add more complex to the malt/beer. I thought It should go ok with the crystal? Iv only done 8 beers, this will be my 4th all-malt non can, so am still learning... :)

I saw this about the grain...

Black Patent Malt

Black patent malt or black malt is very dark malted barley. It essentially gets its black color from very high roasting temperatures. Black malt can be used to give the beer a dark color, but will also impart a slight burnt or smokey flavor to the beer. In homebrews, this burnt flavor can be overpowering if too much is used. I would recommend using this grain sparingly.

So am guessing 0.5lbs will be heaps to....?

Porters generally use 4-8 ounces of Black Patent along with crystal and chocolate malt. All specialty grains need to be crushed before steeping.

Why not look at the porter recipes in the database?

Check out these two popular kits for recipe formulation guidance, adjust for your desired volume:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/docs/kis-html/1091.html
Specialty Grains
* 0.5 lbs. Simpson's Chocolate
* 0.5 lbs. Simpsons Dark Crystal
Fermentables
* 6 lbs. Dark Malt Syrup
* 1 lbs. Dark Dry Malt Extract
Boil Additions
* 1 oz. Columbus (60 min)
* 1 oz. Cascade (1 min)
If you choose dry yeast
* Safale US-05. Optimum temperature: 59-75° F.
If you choose liquid yeast
* Wyeast #1187 Ringwood Ale Yeast. Optimum temperature: 64-74° F.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7475
This recipe creates a deep brown porter with a robust chocolate and black malt aroma. We named this recipe after the high alcohol and hop rate. Our ingredients for this recipe include
6 lbs of Dark malt extract
3.3 lbs Light malt extract
4 oz. Black Patent malt
4 oz. Chocolate malt
8 oz. Caramel 120°L.
1 oz bittering hops
1 oz. aroma hops

Thanks for the recipes.

How does this look then...Iv Bulked it up a bit as its a 6.07 gal batch.

Specialty Grains
* 0.5 lbs. Black Patent
* 0.84 lbs. "Dark Caramel colour" Crystal
Fermentables
* 11.9 lbs. Dark LME
Boil Additions
* 1 oz. Southern Cross 12% (60 min)
* 0.5 oz. NZ Fuggle 6.9% (10 min)
* 0.5 oz NZ Fuggle 6.9% (1min)
Dry yeast
* Safale US-05. Optimum temperature: 59-75° F.

I have no idea what the OG or IBU's are. Do you NEED the chocolate specialty grain? I could get some and add as well I spose, but is becoming an expensive batch! How do the hops look?

Otherwise, I was looking at the "Port O' Palmer - Porter" recipe on how to brew...again bulked it up. http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter19-3.html

11.9 lbs. of Dark Malt Extract (syrup)
0.5 lb. of Chocolate Malt
0.84 lb. of Crystal 60L Malt
0.5 lb. of Black Patent Malt

1 oz of Southern Cross 12% at 60 minutes
3/4 oz of NZ Fuggle 6.9% at 30 minutes
1/2 oz of NZ Fuggle 6.9% at 20 minutes

Safale US-05

Back